Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting cylindrical faces with CGAP elements

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I would like to connect the meshes of two cylindrical faces with CGAP elements.

I have used a mapped mesh of both of them, so the number of nodes and elements is the same. For some reason Siemens NX doesn't see that I would like to connect the closest nodes in the radial direction.

Is there something I'm missing or some walkaround I could use to get a well correspondence between the nodes of one face and the nodes of the other?

Thank you for any help

4 REPLIES

Re: Connecting cylindrical faces with CGAP elements

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

Here is running OK , simply use command "1D Connection > Node-to-Node" and Method of Connection: PROXIMITY, and you are done!.

CGAP-NX.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Blas,

thank you for your quick answer.

At the beginning I was very puzzled by it, because "1D Connection > Node-to-Node" and Method of Connection: PROXIMITY was what I had been doing the whole time.

But then, I've realized that you had connected 2 complete cylindrical meshes. I was doing my tests with only a quarter of a cylinder, and that was the problem.

So the !D Connection, and Proximity, and complete cilinder works wonders. Thank you!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The original image looks like the connection was done by the order in which the nodes were selected (by the system since I'm sure you didn't individually select the nodes). By proximity should work on a quarter cylinder in the same manner that it does for a full cylinder. My test model worked on a quarter model as expected. My model was meshed similarly to the original image.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com

Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Mark, 

then I have no idea what went wrong. I tried all kinds of techniques and workarounds and never got a good solution as when trying to connect two complete cylindrical faces.

David