Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Customer Defaults for Post Processing

Hello experts,

short question: If I start post processing (in NX10) without a default template the settings are as following:

- post view - color display: Smooth

- maximum / minimum annotation marker: Text and line color: White

- background color: white.

2017-05-03_180620.png

I would like to modify it to

- color display: banded

- maximum / minimum annotation marker: Text and line color: grey

Can I set it in Customer Defaults or do have to define a template for it?

Every suggestion will help, best wishes, Michael

7 REPLIES

Re: Customer Defaults for Post Processing

This would be done via a template. Once you have a template defined, you can designate it as the default template.

Dear JimB,

thank you for answering.

A template stores many settings. Can I control wich are included? - I did notice that also the number of active solution and displayed result and diplayed elements are stored and applying the template reset that settings too.

After defining a template where can I find it physically on my workstation's drive? - I would like to transfer it to another workstation.

Besides I've got lost of templates in former times and I don't no why. It would be a good idea to safe them independendly as a backup.

Best wishes, Michael

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author MiDi1791
‎05-05-2017 02:35 AM

[ Edited ]

Dear JimB,

thank you for your advices. It's exactly what I was looking for. Now I have to delve into the matter.

Edit - Last point:

After opening such a template file with "notepad++" as my standard XML-editor I detect that there are no line breaks in the MXL file. Therefore it is really difficult to read and to modify.

I did install the plugin "XML Tools". There you can fill in line brakes.

2017-05-05_103628.png

and also linearize it again.

And as a very last information:

After checking the directory of the template file I recognize the reason for loosing templates occasionally - They are stored in the TEMP-directory of windows (user).  Oh dear, easy to find for backup but also easy to get lost...

Best wishes, Michael

I just recently learned about partial post templates and I ended up creating myself about 4 dozen so that I can quickly turn on and off features like element edges, nodal averaging, element types, etc. (see attached file for some examples). Here is what I found out works best for me:

1. There should be some example partial templates in your installation directory:
    • \Siemens\NX\NX11.0\UGSTRUCTURES\post_template
  2. The PostTemplate.xsd files contains all the available element types and their acceptable settings so I found it easier to just modify one of the example partial templates by cutting and pasting from the .xsd file then to create a new template from NX and delete out everything I didn't want set.
  3. You can move your .xml files from the TEMP directory to a different directory and then load them and delete them from your list of Templates in NX without them getting deleted.
  4. Any template with the following attribute setting: TemplateType="System", can be loaded into the list of Templates in NX but cannot be individually deleted.
  5. Change the TemplateType to "User" and it can be individually deleted from the list of Templates in NX.

JDunn,

thank you for your information. It's really helpful.

Two additional questions:

1. If you have a lot of those templates do you load or delete them in NX with journals or macros maybe in groups?

2. Do you know if it's possible to place templates into working directory to get them loaded automatically in project context?

With best regard, Michael

Maybe this is already known, but there is an environment variable that defines the location of post processing template files.

UGII_CAE_POST_TEMPLATE_USER_DIR

Set that to a directory containing your template files.

Regards,

Mark