cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible member FEA in NX

Creator
Creator

Hi All

Attached is a pic showing my problem to be designed and solved in NX.

Its a cantiliver structure connected to a point mass through a flexible member. I was wondering while doing FEA in NX, how to give the parameters for a flexible member and the point mass.

What i did was created a new material of zero density and assigned it to the rectangular block, but i didn't feel it is correct. Also for the flexible member, i was not able to find any parameter.

Solver used can be ANSYS or NASTRAN.

I am new to FEA using a CAD software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Albin Thomas

2 REPLIES

Re: Flexible member FEA in NX

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking since the whole point of Finite Element Analysis is to analyze flexible bodies. You picture shows no loading and you do not indicate what you are trying to get out of the analysis (displacements, stress, eigenvalues, etc.)

Simply based on the picture, and assuming that the left member is rigid (since it is not explicitly labeled flexible), you would want to model the left member as a rigid element (RBAR or RBE2 in Nastran), the "flexible" mamber as a beam element (CBAR or CBEAM in Nastran) and the mass as a concentrated mass (CONMi in Nastran).

Regards,

Jim

Re: Flexible member FEA in NX

Creator
Creator

Hi Sorry for the vague question, it was for my friend. She prepared a writeup showing the problem. Hope this helps. In case you need further info let me know.

Thanks

Albin