Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

How to queue analysis model in thermal/flow solver?

Dear Team,

I am trying to queue up some simulations I prepared in NX Advanced flow Simulation for overnight calculation with flow solver. The software version is NX 10.

I am aware of queuing multiple models for NX Nastran solver by creating a .bat file. Is there a similar method for flow solver?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Jerry

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jerryclif
‎09-24-2015 02:23 AM

Re: How to queue analysis model in thermal/flow solver?

Jerry,

The best way to queue up NX Thermal/Flow runs is by first exporting the input decks from NX, by right-clicking on each of your solutions, selecting “Solve”, and then selecting the option “Write Solver Input File”.  This will produce an XML file for each NX Thermal/Flow solution.

Next, you want to launch the TMG Executive Menu.  From a command line, launch the following:

<NX Install Location>\nxcae_extras\tmg\com\tmgnx.cmd UI

This will bring up the user interface of the executive menu.  Under “Process to Execute”, select “Run analysis from XML, in solution’s run directory”.  Then, you can browse and select as many XML files that you want.  When done, click “Execute All”, and the TMG Executive Menu will run each analysis in order, one after the other.

For more info, please refer to the Online Help:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:index_advanced:id1245911:id629776:id...

Phil

Philippe Tremblay
phillippe.tremblay.ext@siemens.com
www.mayahtt.com

I know this post is old but I did not find satisfactory information and I am sure others have the same problem. Here is my solution.

Use the attached script as a template to batch schedule fluid/thermal solutions on Windows. If you are not familar with the command line in windows, you should do some googling. If you are working on Linux, you obviously already know the command line or can figure it out. You shoud be able to translate the below script to a bash script.

google the following:

How to use the SET command at the command line to set variables

Below is a picture of my script with syntax highlighting. It is easier to read this way. I suggest Notepad++ or something similar for editing. "batchtest.cmd" is attached to this post. The forum won't let me attach it as a ".cmd" so I renamed it with a ".txt" extension. Adjust as necessary.

ExampleScript.png

The built-in script from MAYA works like a charm, as-is in a properly installed NX environment. It has the major advantage of offering a graphical queue, users can even "solve a folder", adding all the input files automatically a solve them sequentially.  Here's what it looks like:

MAYA UI.png

Nothing shameful about using a UI Smiley Wink

My main issue is that I have analysis outputing a report of volumetric flow and pressure on a specific set of entities for a transient analysis. The report is saved as "GroupReport.csv" and I haven't figured out how to generate a unique name for each analysis. I need the data for later processing. If I batch solve with the GUI, the "GroupReport.csv" file is overwritten for each analysis. This negates any gain in batch solving with the GUI. Therefore, I batch solve from the command line and then rename "GroupReport.csv" after each analysis has run. Then I start the next analysis. It looks something like below:

tmg.exe nx -inPath inputFile01.xml
rename GroupReport.csv Results01.csv

tmg.exe nx -inPath inputFile02.xml

rename GroupReport.csv Results02.csv

I see...  Can't you have a run directory created for each solution?  That's how we do it, each solve gets its own run directory to store its data...

Yes this a good idea. I just didn't setup the 30+ analyses like this when I was working in NX. I didn't want to go back and generate the xml input files.

In the "MAYA TMG Executive Tool," you cannot select multiple files at once. While this is a minor issue compared to batch solving, it seems to go against the idea of batch solving. I batch solve for efficiency of time. Selecting 30+ analyses 1 at a time is inefficient. Again, using the command line is faster because I can generate my batch script from an excel table.

(view in My Videos)