cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restart analysis of SOL601 ?

Hello,

Because of very long analysis time for SOL601, i stop analysis before finishing job by creating document "tmpadvnlin.rto " with parameter "STOP=1".

My problem is how to restart analysis from the last time step i stopped ?

You can see description in help document, as pictures below:

anyone can give me explanation in details?

and how to create and find restart file (.res) ?2017-02-26_212500.png

4 REPLIES

Re: How to restart analysis of SOL601 ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The .res file will be located in the Nastran scratch directory. This folder is specified by the sdir keyword. Check the .log file for its location if you are not sure.

The original job must have been run with the SCRATCH=NO option set (again, check the .log file to confirm the setting) for the .res file to be retained. If the original job was executed with SCRATCH=YES, the .res file would have been deleted with the rest of the scratch files at the end of the first analysis.

Hello, JimB,

Thank you very much for your feedback,

I found .res file now,

But i still have some problem for restart,

Could you check attached documents to find what the problem was ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There are 2 things that you need to do to perform a restart. First is to change MODEX=1 and ensure that a copy of the .res file is available. Second is to adjust the time step settings.

In the attached update, the initial solution was set up to run 50 steps of 0.2 seconds, for a total analysis time of 10.0 seconds. Within that solution, there is a time varying enforced displacement with a time defined for the same range of 0 to 10 seconds. I ended this job with STOP-1 in the rto file at t=2.5 seconds.

In the restart1 solution, I only updated the Strategy parameters modeling object to set the Mode of Execution to restart. I copied as_bg_batterie_sim1-initial.res to as_bg_batterie_sim1-restart1.res and ran the analysis. The error in the .f06 file is:

***ALERT: TABLEDx 6 does not span the range of solution times.

This is because the solution time steps are still defined as 50 steps of 0.2 seconds. This gets added to the restart time (2.5 seconds), so the ending solution time is now 12.5 seconds. The enforced motion is still only defined up to 10 seconds.

In the restart2 solution, in addition to updating the Strategy parameters modeling object to set the Mode of Execution to restart, I adjusted the time step settings to ask for 30 steps of 0.2 seconds. This asks for an additional 6 seconds on top of the already completed 2.5 seconds, so the solution end time of 8.5 seconds is less than the span of the enforced motion. I copied as_bg_batterie_sim1-initial.res to as_bg_batterie_sim1-restart2.res and ran the analysis. It started and ran successfully until I manually stopped it again with the rto file.

Hello, JimB,

Thank you very much for your help !

i succeeded in restarting operation for NX advanced simulation 10.