Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to split a body using extrude?

Creator
Creator

Hi All,

I'd like to split the below rectangle into 2 volumes or bodies for FE meshing purposes, by using the cylinder shape.

I've tried this using the 'split body' command available in both the 'modelling' and 'idealization' applications without success, because:

1. I'm unable to use the existing cylinder as a 'tool';
  2. An extrude of  a circle will extrude through the entire depth of the rectangle (which I don't want);
  3. A revolve is complicated to do if you get it right (and I haven't been able to get it to work yet); and
  4. Boolean opearions are limited to unite, subtract, or intersect, which are insufficient.

I think the resolution would be to have the facility of using the cyclinder as a tool, or to limit the extrude length, but these are not available.

Can anybody recomend any other options?

Thanks in advance.

MWSnap004 2017-10-17, 07_29_02.jpg

9 REPLIES

Re: How to split a body using extrude?

Legend
Legend

You need to promote the bodies before being able to use them Smiley Happy

Creator
Creator

Sorry Tentechllc, that's not it.  But many thanks for replying.

Legend
Legend

I-DEAS wrote:

Sorry Tentechllc, that's not it.  But many thanks for replying.

Oh it is it Smiley Happy What's not it is to expect that "standard" non-manifold modeling from I-DEAS has made it into NX, it's only been 15+ years Smiley Happy 

There are plenty of ways of doing this, using a convoluted approach involving Wave or Promote to do some trimming...  There is no non-manifold modeling in NX, so you will have to have multiple volumes and use mesh mating conditions or glue joints to tie everything together...

Highlighted

Creator
Creator

Thanks for your input Tentechllc.

I can indeed see that there would be a convoluted way of achieving this; and I'm sure I'll need mating surfaces, but I'm wondering if there is a simple way of achieveing it?  Am I to understand that your opinion is that there is not a simple way?

I could easily split the body all the way through using 'split body', but I don't want to do that.

TIA.

Legend
Legend

Am I to understand that your opinion is that there is not a simple way?  

Yeah, we've just learned to live without advanced partitions Smiley Sad

Creator
Creator

The answer that I'm looking for is simply this:

In 'split-body', once the rectangle has been selected as the 'Target', simply select:  Tool option = 'Face or Plane'.  Then select any face on the cylinder.  The remaining faces of the cylinder are automatically selected and will essentially constitute a 'partitioning tool'. Press OK.

Job done.

This all assumes that the image that I presented is of the promoted idealised part.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Note that "The remaining faces of the cylinder are automatically selected" is due to the default selection intent Face Rule of "Body Faces". If tyou changed this to "Single Face", only the face you pick would be selected. Other settings would have different behavior as well (adjacent faces, tangent faces, etc.)

Creator
Creator
Just to add to JimB - The ‘Face Rule’ shows up when using RMB (right mouse button) at the ‘tool selection’ step of the process (default = ‘Body Faces’).

Legend
Legend

I-DEAS wrote:

The answer that I'm looking for is simply this:

In 'split-body', once the rectangle has been selected as the 'Target', simply select:  Tool option = 'Face or Plane'.  Then select any face on the cylinder.  The remaining faces of the cylinder are automatically selected and will essentially constitute a 'partitioning tool'. Press OK.

Job done.

This all assumes that the image that I presented is of the promoted idealised part.

Isn't that the standard function of split body, provided the solids are promoted?