Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

I want to know how to find hoop stress

Dear all,

I am having a problem that i am unable to find hoop stress and, to find hoop stress what are the boundary conditions to be given to the model. For example I am having a model with Internal dia 0f 100 mm and external with 150, subjected to an internal pressure of 50MPa. the material assigned is steel with yield strength of 250MPa. what are the boundary conditions to be given to obtain the solution. Kindly help me in finding a solution. Attached are the input file and expected output. And if type of solver is mentioned it is much appreciated.

Thank you

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author vinodkumar
‎02-18-2016 07:00 AM

Re: I want to know how to find hoop stress

Hello!,

You need to prescribe symmetry boundary conditions to have an stable solution, if you plan to create a 3-D solid model meshing with 3-D solid CHEXA elements cut your ring by planes to have 1/8 of symmetry.

Also this is a typical problem fully axisymmetric, then you can mesh a 2-D cross section in the plane Z-X (where X is the radial axis and Z the axial axis) using 2-D Solid CQUADX4.

In summary, you can solve the same problem using a 3-D solid meshing approach, or using a 2-D Axysimmetric meshing approach, the final solution in displacements & stress results should be exactly the same, but the solution cost could be quite different, not too much here because this is a simply model but in complex problems involving contact & material nonlinearities + large displacements effect with geometric nonlinearities the 2-D Axisymmetric meshing approach is quite reliable, my preferred method!.

To understand the concept here you are two simply rings in contact with different material (steel & Aluminium) under a Thermal load causing different material dilatation solved using NX NASTRAN (SOL101) Linear Static Analysis solver where you can see the two above exposed meshing approachs, the results are exactly the same, not matter meshing in 3-D with surface-to-surface contact or 2-D with edge-to-edge contact:

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Re: I want to know how to find hoop stress

thank you very much sir. I got the results.