cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing nas file

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I am trying to import .nas file to NASTRAN.

The file contains pressure field ( I do not what the others value stands for)  and exported from Star-ccm+.

I have tried to put it in different ways, but did not reach the goal.

The nas file could not attached, because of does not a valid extension.

I changed the extension to .txt to add as attachments, the file name shall be "press.nas".

Best Regards,

Betül Arikan

5 REPLIES

Re: Importing nas file

It seems to be not so hard.

I do not know, whether there is a direct import tool of such pressures but try to create a field in *.sim file and then apply an external pressure by using this field.

How to do that? Post-process your *.nas file in excel so it will fit to your domain (here you should know in what format your *.nas file is written: whether it is applied to the geometry, elements, defined in cartesian coordinate system, etc...) Smiley Happy

Good luck Smiley Happy !

press.png

Phenom
Phenom

extension shouldn't matter as long as the format of the data in the file is a NASTRAN format. Having said that .bdf or .dat is ussually used

Just reading the file provided won't work (I tried, see below) because the element to which the pressure is applied are not defined in the file

***ERROR : Invalid element type or missing element on a PLOAD4 . First

occurrence is PLOAD4 105 referring to thin shell element 1

Production: NX9.0.3.4, NX10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If the elements that these pressures reference exist in the current part, you can use File, Append. Be sure to set the Import Behavior to Append Merge.

The difference between Append and Append Merge is that with Append, the deck you are importing has to be completely defined (i.e. it would need to contain grids and elements to be able to import pressures). With Append Merge, the deck would not import into an empty model on its own, but can reference existing entities in the database.

Creator
Creator

Hi,

In NX the order is: x, y, z, Pressure.

I have different order in my file. After I imported the file, I chose  "Edit table in spreadsheet" and change the table.But when I close the sheet and go back to NX, the table in NX will not uptade/change.  Saving the sheet will not help.

Do you know I can change the order and save the changes?

Best Regards,

Betül

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Any time you interact with a spreadsheet from NX, you need to go to the Add-Ins tab in Excel and pick Update Table prior to closing the spreadsheet.