Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrate CAE results of different parts of assembly

Builder
Builder

Dear all,

We use NX CAD to model our product. But our engineering department use our 3D model in Ansys Software for their simulation process. As the whole assembly is too complex they simulate each subassembly separately.

Now as they want to simulate the whole assembly they use a code in MATLAB to combine all results. I wanted to know if it is possible to combine all ANSYS results in SIMCENTER to have results of our product in one 3D environment.

Sina shojaee
4 REPLIES

Re: Integrate CAE results of different parts of assembly

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The answer to this depends on what the limitation is in ANSYS.

If the issue in ANSYS is the ability to preprocess the large assemblies, then you should look at Simcenter Assembly FEM (AFEM).  This allows you to easily combine sub-assemblies and components from different sources.  It also takes advantage of part instancing to reduce the size of the AFEM where possible.  Since you are using NX CAD, you would be able to easily update any sub-assembly or component to reflect a design change, without updating the entire assembly.

If the issue is the size of the ANSYS model itself causing long run times, then you might consider looking at NX Nastran in combination with AFEM.  You can convert components to "superelement" representations which allow you to accurately capture their stiffness in a much smaller model size.  You can then choose to represent some parts of your AFEM as full FEMs, and others as superelements.  This way, you can achieve accurate results in the regions of interest but with a much faster solve time.

Regards

Joe

Builder
Builder

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your help. Maybe I couldn’t describe the problem clearly.

Suppose that the whole assembly has thousands of parts. Our engineering department has divided the product into sub assemblies and solved each of them in ANSYS. Now they don't want to solve the whole product once again. They just want to assemble the results in one 3D environment.

Sina shojaee

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

If the various result sets are located in the correct coordinate space relative to one another, you could import each set and overlay the results in postprocessing plots.  I'm not sure how practical this would be for a large number of result sets though.  I'm not sure it would be very physically meaningful either.

I have not come across a CAE tool that does exactly what you describe.

My original suggestions could be helpful, but you would need to consider them before starting the complete analysis process.

Regards

Joe

Legend
Legend

This sounds like a great use of superelements, being ANSYS or Nastran...  As @JoeLuxmoore pointed out, AFEM in NX would be a great way to put together the analysis, including superelements.  Thousands of parts isn't an issue, we do that every day.

The only product to date that would do what your enigneering team wants to accomplish would be MSC Apex, but not with ANSYS, with its own solver.  It's called computational parts.