Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible in NX Flow (advance) to solve wind turbine??

Please advice. Is it possible in NX Flow (advance) to solve wind turbine??

Ie. CFD analysis to determine the rotor speed and maximum torque of entering wind speed at the inlet.

The main question is how to spin the turbine blades. Is this possible in NX Flow.
I can spin the blade constant speed inside the fan with rotating frame of reference. There is a similar function to reverse the role? Spin the blades of the turbine on the air inlet conditions (wind speed input). Competitive CFD systems to resolve this issue as I've seen on youtube.

See the pictures, there is simple sketch of problem.

Its very important for benchmark example for our potential customer.

Thank you veru much

Tomas Havlicek CAE product manager AXIOM TECH - Siemens partner

3 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible in NX Flow (advance) to solve wind turbine??

Hi Tomas, 

Did you ever get an answer for this? If not I'll try to find someone who can...

Regards,
Ganesh

Simcenter 3D Community Manager
Simulation and Test Solutions

[ Edited ]

Hello again Tomas:  Your illustration looks to me like a centrifugal compressor.  Technically it is possible to solve this type of application with NX Advanced Flow; however, it requires significant effort.  In addition to the model being very large and hence requiring the parallelized solver, there are sensitivites to everything from mesh size to turbulence model choice, and really requires a pilot program to "tune" the modeling approach to known good data before meaningful results can be obtained for other compressor designs or operating conditions.  This is true for all CFD solvers out there.

Hi Tomas,

This is a Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine application, isn't it?

As far as a CFD problem, are you looking at a rigid body motion type of solution?  Is it really necessary, or just "cute to look at"?  What I mean by that is "wouldn't your customer more interested in the torque generated by the VAWT?".

We've done quite a few of these using NX/Flow (or I-DEAS ESC back then), the torque was typically what the designers wanted to look at...  It was a breeze in NX, including mapping pressures to a FEM for stress & dynamics...