cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Plastic Properties

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before but do all the materials in the NX10 library have plastic behaviour? When I opened the material information, all the materials I needed had the "Formability" section, with Initial Strain, Hardening Exponent and Strength Coeffient. This means the engineering curve is being approximated by the σ = K ε^n formula and that they have plastic behaviour using the solution 106 and 601, right?

WIth my best regards,

loismen

6 REPLIES

Betreff: Material Plastic Properties

Legend
Legend

Hello Loismen,

as you do not get information from the "real" experts I try to give you my point of view.

I'm not sure if you and I understand correctly all opportunities of material definition but I think the material definition dialog provides ALL parameters which are necessary in ALL DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS and may by in all POSSIBLE SOLVERS. And I do not mean NY Structural and NX Thermal. I mean NX, ANSYS, ABAQUS, ...

Therefore I believe that formability is not used in NX Sol 106 or 601 but in other not NX related solvers or in special solvers for e.g. molding.

I think elastic-plastic material behavior is defined for NX SOLUTION 106 or 601 only in register "Strength" and "Mechanical"  if you activate nonlinear material behavior in register "Mechanical" => "Stress-Strain Related Properties".

I found in NX help 8.5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Home > CAE > Advanced Simulation > Command Reference > Material dialog box

Durability material properties
These properties are not exported to NX Nastran. They are used by the Durability capability. For more information, see Durability.

Formability material properties
These properties are not exported to NX Nastran. They are used by the NX One-step Formability Analysis tool. See One-step Formability Analysis overview for more information.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I hope it helps.

Best wishes, Michael

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the reply. So what you're saying is the materials that exist on the NX library have already plastic behaviour? Or do I have to add something? When I say plastic behaviour I mean simply selecting one material, using it on a 3D mesh, then I apply a strong enough force for the stresss to surpass the yield stress.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The materials provided OOTB in NX are sample materials that may or may not have various material properties represented. For example, some materials in the library have yield stress and stress/strain curves defined. Some don't. The various solvers support the physics you are trying to model (surpassing yield stress and invoking material nonlinearities). NX material models also support certain material nonlinearities as needed for the solvers. You need to understand how the particular solver your using represents the material behavior you are after, then look into how that is defined in the NX materials in general before looking at specific materials in the OOTB libraries. 

Regards,

Mark

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the reply.

But can you tell exactly what to do? I've tried a lot of things and nothing works. I want to use the solver 601,106 and 601,129. Do you know what materials work on these solvers? I just want to see the plastic deformation (if there is one) and maybe couple surface-to-surface contacts. I've been struggling because I can't seem to make SOL 601 work, I always get an error and I don't know if it is material related. I just get FATAL ERROR. Would you mind looking at the model and tell me what I did wrong, in case you have some spare time?

Sorry for the trouble.

With my best regards,

loismen

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Review the Nastran F06 files for warnings, errors, and fatal messages. That will provide a clue as to why Nastran is failing. Also it is good to run the model linearly first before applying nonlinear options. SOL 601 can be run without using geometry or material nonlinearities. The NX UI has options in the solution set up to take into account material and geometry nonlinearities (or not). 

If you are able to upload files here, someone (including me) may be able to look at it and provide guidance. I don't guarantee my time on the mailing lists though. My schedule is too unpredictable.

Regards,

Mark

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you, I'll be attaching a zip file with the .prt, .fem, .sim and the f06 file.If you find some time to look into it I would be really grateful.