Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX 7.5 Adaptive Mesh

Hi,

I'm using NX 7.5 simulation. I have a question with preparing fem from 3d model.

I would like to do some morphing under 7.5 (I know that option works on NX 9) I have a 3D model then i'm creating 2D fem, then based on 2d fem model i'm creating 3d fem .

Now when I change geo of 3d model, the 2d model will update to new geometry but 3d mesh is not available and I have to generate new 3d mesh.

Is it possible to do a adaptive 3d mesh in 7.5 ?

5 REPLIES

Re: NX 7.5 Adaptive Mesh

Hello Tom,

It sounds like you are using manual element creation techniques to produce your 3D mesh. In NX 7.5 there is no way to adapt (morph) a manual mesh to changes made to a CAD model. As you pointed out, that is available in NX 9. NX 9 is the first release to support mesh morphing.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

2000 Eastman Drive

Milford, OH  45150

Tel. (513) 576-2073

mark.lamping@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/plm

I am trying to do 3d tet mesh in NX 7.5 for FEM and simulation on a model but each time it fails to create a full mesh. Instead it meshes partially and reflects errors on some faces. I checked the model thoroughly and using a parasolid as a single integral body.

Please provide support and suggest the solution to the problem.

Regards,

Brijendra

Brijendra,

It's not going to be easy to pinpoint the problem without having the model. I suggest you contact GTAC for additional support.

http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/gtac.shtml

When the mesh fails it will store the failing faces in a group named "output group". From there you can display just those faces and determine if there are geometry problems. One example is a periodic face such as a full cylinder that is missing a seam. The software will automatically split periodic faces as it is required for meshing. However complicated periodic faces with many internal loops won't always split automatically. 

Another useful diagnostic is to save the shell mesh generated by tet meshing failures, then display the output group, related elements, and adjacent faces and elements. Inspection of the problem areas will point you to a resolution typically involving an edit of the polygon geometry. Sometimes the problem is related to the size of the geometry relative to the element size being used. The faces are likely fine by themselves, but not able to accomodate the requested mesh size.

Without the model, I can only speculate what particular challenges are present in your model.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Siemens Industry Sector

mark.lamping@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/plm

Mark,

I have almost same issue like Brijendra. I look at your suggested solution, just can't locate the "output group". Can you advise further?

Can I send the model to you for a quick test?

Thanks for support.

Alex

Alex,

You can send me your model, but I may defer to GTAC as well. The "output group" will be in the Groups folder in the FEM. Maybe the meshing failure you are running into isn't creating the output group. Anyways, without the model it's hard to diagnose. Reply directly to me and we can proceed further.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Lamping

Siemens Industry Sector
mark.lamping@siemens.com