Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

NX Advanced Simulation, Error Estimate Plot

Does anyone know where I can find the "Error Estimate Plot" in NX advanced simulation as listed on page 2 under Viewing Results from this 2015 marketing sheet from Siemens?
http://m.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/Images/7936_tcm1224-4361.pdf

I'm assuming this error plot would depict a plot of the elements showing the error deviation from each element. Basically giving you a measure of mesh consistency and showing you where the mesh might need to be refined.
Similar to Ansys Workbench's Structural Error plot.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: NX Advanced Simulation, Error Estimate Plot

Corey,

NX 10 adaptive meshing underwent a major overhaul. It includes mesh error related output that guides adaptive meshing and can be viewed in post processing. It also outputs a mesh refinement level type of output to indicate where element sizes are going to be reduced and by how much. That is most likely what the article is referring to.

Regards,

Mark 

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com

Thank you for the information. I think I found what your referring to. It basically remeshes the geometry based on a mesh error value you input. I was hoping it would plot a mesh visual based on the current mesh giving a way to quickly identify an overly course mesh region. The only way I found to at least give something like that is to just plot unaveraged stresses and see where there are large jumps from element to element.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by Ganesh_S (Community Manager)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Corey,

You can do that through NX 10 adaptivity too. You can run an adaptive solution with zero iterations. That means it will only calculate the mesh refinement factor. The areas where the mesh refinement factor is high are areas where the mesh is too coarse. Siemens is presenting a paper on this topic at the NAFEMS conference in San Diego this month. I'm scheduled to present it, but I'm not sure I'll be making it or not. Attached are a couple images from the paper. The high refinement areas have high mesh error. That result is shown on the initial mesh. Then you can compare the initial mesh with the final mesh to see how much refinement took place. The final mesh satisfied all mesh error measures. This example was a transient structural-thermal analysis using strain energy and temperature error measures.

Regards,

Mark

That is outstanding to see! I'll look forward to that once we move from NX 9 to 10. Thank you!

Hello Mark,

I'm working with Siemens NX 10 Advanced Simulation and wanted to reproduce the shown Error Estimate Plot.

Since I cant find the command in the menu I wanted to ask you for your help.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Best regards

Werner

If you select on the top item in the navigator after having already created your basic solution (linear statics, etc.) then go to New Solution Process and select Adaptivity. A setup window will appear where you select the solution the mesh is based on and input the error you want to bound your refinement with. After you solve the refinement you'll get results under the Adaptivity line item in the navigator. As Mark said if the iterations are set to 0 you'll get plots of the error with no refinement done to the mesh.

Great!!!

Thanks a lot!!!