Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

NX Nastran Topology Optimization licensing

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am interesting in Topology optimization.

1/ how is it licensed? I am using reseller license for NX and I miss cae_opt_topo license. How or who to ask? It is only for demonstration purpose.

2/ what is Frustum optimization? I saw the video on You tube and more information would be welcome

Juraj

26 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author juraj_zahradnik
‎11-02-2016 02:09 AM

Re: NX Nastran Topology Optimization licensing

Can't help with the licensing, but I can answer the optimization part.  Siemens is moving away from the current topology optimization engine (tosca, owned by Dassault Systèmes) and is now using the topology optimization engine from a company called Frustrum Inc.  My understanding is that Siemens has also invested in the company itself, not just licensed the software, so we can expect some great functionnality coming our way, especially with the new Convergent Modeling tools...

Hi,
thanks for information.
I was told from GTAC that "old" topology optimization is no longer available for new customers, but new Topology optimization is planned in next version of NX/Simcenter.
Nice day
Juraj

Hi,

I work for Siemens PLM, I would like to make a clarification.

• It is correct that we no longer sell the TOSCA-based topology optimization, but we do supoport it for existing NX Topo customers.
  • As a replacement for the TOSCA-based solution we already offer a native Nastran-based solution in NX Nastran 11. This product is for the CAE expert and will became even more complete in NX Nastran 12 when more great features will be included.
  • We plan to offer soon an NX CAD-based, easy-to-use topology optimization solution with 11.0.1. The target user is the design engineer and not the CAE expert.

It is important to clearly distinguish these two solutions: one for the designer, one for the CAE expert. 

Best regards.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Our company purchased a license for topology optimizataion in Aug,2016.In the license file, I find bellow information 

NXN016   NX Nastran Topology 
So I wonder if this license is the replcement of Tosca?

For this license , should we update to NX Nastran 11.0 or we can still use NX Nastran 10.0 for topology optimization?

Best Regards

Zongfang

Hi Zongfang,

correct: NXN016   NX Nastran Topology  is our CAE  expert solution in NX Nastran and as such a replacement for the Tosca technology. I suggest to work with the latest solver version which is NX Nastran 11.

Best regards.

Martin

Global CAE Portfolio Development

I was running a Topology Optimization with NX 10 in Dec. and now I get an error regarding the license: Failed to check out license cae_opt_topo 

Any suggestions? I thought you guys said it would work for existing customers.  

Hi there, 

I have checked with product managment and I think it should work. It might be useful to see your license file, I will send you a direct message to follow up.

Regards,
Ganesh

Simcenter 3D Community Manager
Simulation and Test Solutions

Hi Ganesh, 

Thanks for the response. I assure you it is not working. I can run the Nastran FEA simulation, but when I go to solve a previously completed topo optimization a license issue error message appears; same as if I try to create a new solution. I am with McMaster University, who has a server license agreement. It was suggested from earlier reading to try NX 11. I tried this but the updated server manager won't run on Windows XP, which the school is currently on and they cannot switch midway through the term for risk of further errors. Look forward to a work around. 

Hi there,

I'm sorry I may have expressed myself poorly, I understand you are having a problem. Perhaps we need to take a step back; when I read through the thread there is discussion of NX 10 & NX 11 and the different topology optimization solutions. So to be clear:

Are you using NX 10 or NX 11? If you have NX 10 and had access to topology optimization, there is no need for you to run NX 11; it was just that if  you were using top opt in 10 you would continue to be able to use in 11 as well. 

So since I presume you are a student and you are with McMaster, I would recommend you contact your IT and have them contact our GTAC. GTAC will probably ask for your license file and a log file to be able to debug the issue. Your IT will need a webkey to contact GTAC (if they don't have it I can put them in contact with our academic representative to help them sort this out.)

One thing we haven't considered is the error message may simply be due to the license indeed being checked out by another user and therefore you were unable to access it. And to understand this, we need to see the license file which would tell us how many seats are available for this module at McMaster.

Best regards,

Ganesh

Regards,
Ganesh

Simcenter 3D Community Manager
Simulation and Test Solutions