Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX thermal analysis for fluid and structure

I would like to simulate the heat transfer of a hot solid and air blown away the heat from the solid with NX. Is it possible to use NX Nastran and NX thermal/flow together to simulate that? How does the coupling works?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES

Re: NX thermal analysis for fluid and structure

[ Edited ]

Hey Elaine,

I think it would be interesting to know, what exactly you want to do, instead of the solvers you want to use. I'm quite new to this whole stuff. But, for example, you could perform a thermal/flow analysis of the Fluid, and afterwards map the temperature results on your solid body in nastran and perform a deformation study.

As a suggestion, here's a link on a recent Post of MAYAHTT in this Forum with a short Tutorial on Mapping:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-CAE-Forum/Using-Thermal-Results-to-Create-Loads-a...

Regards,

Eiko

Do you need to solve for the flow or can you get away with heat transfer coeeficients?  If so, you can simply use NX NASTRAN, use convection boundary conditions and solve for temperatures...

On the flipside, do you really need NX NASTRAN to calculate temperatures?  NX thermal/flow will calculate both...

Thank you for the info! Unfortunately I was not able to view the figures. Would this work if the fluid and the solid are two separate bodies in contact with each other?

NX/Flow would certainly be able to calculate the convection between fluid & solid, yes. 

Similarly, if you were to use NASTRAN-only, you could forget about the fluid and manually calculate and inout what you think the convection exchange would be at the solid interface...

Thank you TENTECHLLC. Yes I do need to simulate the flow as well. Especially my problem is, I have hot gas flowing through a pipe with certain geometry that is not regular, and I would like to know the temperature of the outer wall of the pipe. I need to simulate the flow with NX thermal to simulate the gas, but also the heat transfer through the wall of the pipe with NX Nastran

OK, got it :-). Honnestly, I don't know why you want to use NX NASTRAN in that case, NX/Flow would calculate the temperature through the pipe just as well.  NX/Flow is a coupled CFD/CHT solver...

Exporting temperature results as a Field and applying that to an NX NASTRAN mesh is doable, but why the extra steps when it can be done all in one pass?