Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Obtain bodies of thicken and pattern feature

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to inherit the thickness value from a solid model representing stamped sheet metal when you generate a shell mesh using the Mid-Surface? Or do you have to manually assign the thickness?

6 REPLIES

Re: Obtain bodies of thicken and pattern feature

Select your 2D mesh, right-click, Edit Mesh Associated Data. Set the thickness source to midsurface.

Philippe Tremblay
phillippe.tremblay.ext@siemens.com
www.mayahtt.com

So, there is no way to inherit the thickness value?  The material can be inherited, I wanted to inherit the thickness.  

Example, I have a large assembly of 700+ parts, I mesh the mid-surface but then I have to go into each of the 2D collectors and input the thickness value.  Not an efficient use of my time.

If you follow the steps I mentioned in my first reply, the mesh assigned to the midsurface will inherit the thickness. So..yes this is possible.

Now you can select multiple meshes and, in one operation, set the thickness source for all of them.

Philippe Tremblay
www.mayahtt.com

Thanks.  This is the way we currently do it.

In theory, If all my 700+ parts are different thickness (Not likely) I would have to define 700+ thicknesses.  I was looking for a way that would allow me to take a part that is 1mm thick and while generating the mesh from the mid-surface it would know that the part is 1mm thick and assign this in the physical properties without me assigning it.

You never have to define a thickness for your 700 midsurfaced parts. You select the thickness source as being the midsurface, once - at least if all the parts (and hence meshes) are in the same fem.

If not, I was looking for a customer default which would set the thickness source to midsurface by default, it does not seem to exist.

Philippe Tremblay
www.mayahtt.com

Oh!  I think I get it.  let me try it.  This looks very promising!

Thank you.