Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Orthotropic Material for Plain Strain Condition

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how should I choose a orthotropic material for plain strain condition in NX9. When I tried to choose it shows me the error message choose Isotropic material for plain strain condition.

Is this possible to choose orthotropic material for plain strain condition???

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author saddam
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Orthotropic Material for Plain Strain Condition

Saddam,

It looks like NX 9 doesn't support orthotropic plane strain elements. It wouldn't let me do that in 9.0.3. However I was able to do it in NX 10.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

Mark.Lamping@siemens.com

Hi,

Can you please tell me how should I choose the material orientataion along any curved edge for plain strain elements. I have attached the snippet of the model, I have to allign the material along the outer curved egde. I can able to orient the material along any particular angle but not along the curved edge for plain starin element.

Thanks  

Unfortunately things aren't as simple as they seem. You are right that having plane strain elements with variable orientation angles is supported by the solver. Simply copying the code we have for the shell element orientation's curve tangent method isn't sufficient. The orientation angles for shells and plane strain elements are computed differently. Shells use the element first edge as its datum for defining the angle. Plane strain elements use the basic coordinate system X direction as its datum. I don't think this is a difficult change to make for plane strain elements, but it didn't make it into NX 10. This will have to be considered for a future release. 

As for getting this done in NX 10, one would have to resort to manual methods. By manual, I mean significant user effort. You could extract the mesh into angular bands of elements that would have the same orientation angle and compute the orientation angle for each extracted mesh.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

Mark.Lamping@siemens.com