Could you please help me in doing a plane strain analysis in NX 11

What are the steps to be followed?

Many thanks

Ionut

6 REPLIES

Re: Plane stress analysis

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The exact steps would be solver and solution dependent. The question is to vague to provide a detailed answer.

Recent versions of NX Nastran have dedicated elements for Plane Stress (CPLSTS*) and Plane Strain (CPLSTN*) analysis:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help/#uid:id1385132

The definition of these is supported in Simcenter Pre/Post. The appropriate 2D Solid option must be set on the FEM to specify the plane that these elements will be defined on

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help#uid:xid1128419:index_advanced:xid602249:i...

Builder
Builder

Thank you Jim,

It is about a 106 solution. A pipe with with internal pressure.

Although I have defined a radial pressure (pressure2.png), when I do an Edit display I get pressure.jpg, that do not look very radial at all!

When I run the solution, it crashes (see solution minitor.jpg).

I am using inertial relief (inertial relief.pg).

Many thanks

Ionut

Hi,

Why don't you use 3d / 2D element normal prssure ?

After application it will be ideally radial for pipe.

Sincerely I do not see the option for application of this radial/axial pressure.

Where did you find it ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Radial and Axial loads are used in context of an axisymmetric analysis. In the axisymmetric case, all nodes must be in the positive half of the axisymmetric plane.

For Axisymmetric analysis in:

• The XY plane with X as the axisymmetric axis, "Radial is +Y and Axial is +X
  • The XY plane with Y as the axisymmetric axis, "Radial is +X and Axial is +Y
  • The XZ plane with Z as the axisymmetric axis, "Radial is +X and Axial is +Z

In the Pressure.jpg image attached above, elements are defined in the XZ plane. "Radial" is the +X direction.

Builder
Builder

OK. Understood Jim. I have already applied pressure "on 2D solid elements (Normal to edge) ZX" (by the way, what is the meaning of "on 2D solid elements ZX"?). Pressure looks fine now, but my analysis crashes with the singular matrix message!

Many thanks

Ionut

Builder
Builder

It seems that all comes from the intertial relief issue. I made INREL parameter -2, but still singular matrix message.

Ionut