Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rename Meshes by names in NX

Hi all,

Could be developed a macro like this one (http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Simulation-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Automatically-Ren...

for renaming the meshes automatically on NX? for example, 3 solids with tetra 10 elemets mainframe, hub and carried and other 2 elements with shells elementes trias, sheet metal1 and sheet metal 2. Rename this kind of lements with specific names automatically. selecting all and with a rename macro.

10 REPLIES

Re: Rename Meshes by names in NX

It is not clear what you are asking. Could you provide an example showing the original names and the desired names to be output? What are the new names derived from?

[ Edited ]

Hi Jim,

For example I select 3 solid meshes and 2 shell meshes, I want to rename the 3 solid meshes with specific names for examples, beam, axle and hub and two shell meshes like, sheet metal 1 and sheet metal 2. Some kind of custom names, for having a more clear idea of the model elements. But not doing it mesh by mesh, just selecting all meshes.

Thanks,

If the desired names were not already some type of attribute of the part, I'm not sure how an automated application would know how to assign them.

Hi Igor,

in your example each mesh gets a different name - so it would be just quite easy to rename each mesh separately. If you have multiple meshes that should get the same name, I would recommend the script you are referring to. You just have to generate a collector with the name you would like to use, then put the corresponding meshes into that collector and run the rename script.
The meshes can easily be regrouped by just moving (drag & drop) them to a new collector. Of course you would always have to rerun the script each time you move a mesh from one collector to another.

If you want to have it interactively, you could maybe implement an NX Open application using the Block Styler UI to list all meshes in the FEM and select the ones you would like to rename interactively from the list.The name would also have to be specified in the UI.

Regards
Boris

Hi Boris,

is it possible to rename the mesh corresponding to the name of the underlying Polygon body? Is it easy for you to program it for me/us? 

regards Andreas

@Andreas1,

Here are a couple of journals that rename meshes:

1. RenameMeshes.vb - prepends the mesh name with the collector name
  2. RenameMeshesByBody - prepends the mesh name with the polygon body name

Hi Jim,

it works fine, thank you very much.

Jim:

Thanks for the journal files. I will give them a try. I had a similar request captured under ER 7514445. It seems like the logical next step after they added the option to name polygon bodies after their assembly component names. The default mesh names do not appear to be very useful.

I guess that you need this for some kind of easier post processing. Isn't it easier to create output groups in *FEM file. There are some predefined options for creating auto groups by: properties, used material, etc. Of course custom groups works as well, so I think this is better option than working on particular meshes.