Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

SOL 401 for nonlinear statics simulation - PCOMPS elements

Hi all,

Right now I am not quite sure how to proceed with my simulation. I have a working and running model for SOL 101 for NX NASTRAN using NX10. As I have large displacements and thus high strains I can’t use a linear approach any more.

I have a model with PCOMPS elements thus the only nonlinear option Advanced Simulations offers is Sol 401. I also have surface-to-surface contact and a bolt preload (I already modeled both 1D and 3D bolts in different files). I am not quite sure though if this is the right way to go as I am not interested in temperatures or a modal analysis. What I found out so far is that I am still able to use bolt pre loads (for 2D and 3D bolts).

I tried to get a model running but so far I am getting:

SYSTEM FATAL MESSAGE 4276 (IONAST)

ERROR CODE 923 PID= 0

USER INFORMATION: THIS ERROR MAY BE CAUSED BY EXCEEDING THE CAPACITY OF A SYSTEM RESOURCE.

(E.G., ALLOCATED DISK IS FULL, OR MAXIMUM FILE SIZE HAS BEEN REACHED)

Nothing changed even If I try to run it from an external disk with 1 TB.

Is using a SOL 401 in my case a valid option?

Thanks in advance for your response
13 REPLIES

Betreff: SOL 401 for nonlinear statics simulation - PCOMPS elements

Hi Elonora,

1. I do not know Solution 401 but "PID = 0" may be means that there is a "Property identification number" missing referenced by an element, too. Sometimes an element collector does not reference to an property. - In my point of view PID means allways PROPERTY IDENTIFICATION NUMBER .

Can you choose Sol 601 as the "simple brother" of sol 401 or does PCOMPS is not usable in that case?

May be that can help to encircle the problem? - Good luck,

Michael

Betreff: SOL 401 for nonlinear statics simulation - PCOMPS elements

Hi Elonora,

to check out the requirements of solving process you can check your LOG-File.

Did you choose the right settings for large models in "Simulation Options"?

Best wishes,

Michael

Re: SOL 401 for nonlinear statics simulation - PCOMPS elements

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response! You are right - the only nonlinear solution supporting PCOMPS elements is SOL 401. SOL 601 doesn't support PCOMPS and surface-to-surface contact which are indispensable for my model!

I already tried to vary the solver parameters for the structural solver. I allocated 6GB for the open core memory and varied values for the SMEM with no significant improvement.
Where in the F04 file do I find the requirements of solving process / how is it labeled?
Which are the right settings for large models you mentioned?

Thanks for your response!

Best regards

Hi Elonora,

here are SolverOptions or better Solver parameters I wanted to point out.

Right Mouse Button on solution

- Path to solver executable... nastran64l.exe <== for large models

- Memory: <= Physical memory

But may be you already use this settings, right?

Michael

PS: For f04-File I can't say something. I thought visiting LOG FIle shows you available sources in memory.

Hey Michael,

Yes I already have these settings adjusted and unfortunately still get the error. Found the log file and the values check out or are close to the values of the linear solution of my model.

Does anybody know if I can use the SOL 401 with only a preload and a nonlinear load case and without condition sequences?

Best regards,

Dear Elonora,

I only use NX 8.5.2. Therefore I'm out now, because I have no ideas anymore dealing with SOL401. Sorry.

Best wishes and good luck.

Michael

@Elonora,

Yes, you can define a SOL 401 analysis with only a preload and a static subcase. Condition sequence is not required.

Can you please post all of the solver message files (.log, .f04, .f06) to give a better view of the problem?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your offer to check the files. I was able to locate the error in the bolt plane definition. Thanks to the great documentation of the advanced nonlinear theory guide I was able to adjust the wrongly defined bolt plane and now it's running. Thank you all for your help and support.

Best regards

Dear Elonora,

could you please provide the source or link where you found the

"documentation of the advanced nonlinear theory guide "

here or

in thread http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-CAE-Forum/Getting-started-with-SOL-106-601/m-p/336... ?

TomekZeWschodu asked for such a documentation in his thread.

This would be nice.

Best wishes,

Michael