cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared memory parallel (SMP) for Nastran SOL 159

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

I am looking into the possibility to speed up transient thermal analysis (SOL 159) on Nastran using SMP. I did some test with very few elements (~1000) and did not see any improvement at all. I am looking into tests with more elements. 

Does anyone has experience of SMP with SOL159? How is the scability? With how many elements?

In addition, I know that SMP is implemented by adding "parallel = <no. of processors>" when executing nastran. Is there anywhere from the output that I can tell that SMP has actually been used? I just want to make sure the parallelization is actually being executed as instructed.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES

Re: Shared memory parallel (SMP) for Nastran SOL 159

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

SMP is "supported" for all solution sequences. However, only a few modules (DCMP, FBS, etc.) are SMP enabled. If your solution sequence does not call one of these modules, no SMP will be done. For the modules that are SMP enabled, if the problem size is too small, no SMP will be done either.

If SMP>1 is specified, the .f04 will show if/when SMP was used in the following which will appear near the bottom of the .f04 file. If modules that utilized SMP were called in the solution sequence, the module name will be listed as well as the cpu seconds for each process:

*** PARALLEL PROCESSES CPU INFORMATION (SECONDS) ***

MODULE     PROCESS-1     PROCESS-2     PROCESS-3     PROCESS-4     PROCESS-5     PROCESS-6     PROCESS-7     PROCESS-8
  --------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------   -----------
  P-SDCMP        26.18         26.18
  ========   ===========   ===========   ===========   ===========   ===========   ===========   ===========   ===========
  TOTAL          26.18         26.18

If SMP>1 was specified and no SMP enabled modules were called during the solution, or if the problem size was to small to warrant using SMP, the following warning message will be shown:

*** SYSTEM WARNING MESSAGE 6299 (PARCPU)
     NO PARALLEL PROCESS CREATED

If you try a larger model, you should see parallel DCMP being used.

Siemens Pioneer

Thank you very much! These info are very helpful!

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Elaine,

I also recommend using the Process Explorer. This little tool gives you so much more information about you processes than the Task Manager. You can easily see if the usage of multiple processing is working.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Try it!

Jonk

Siemens Pioneer

Thanks! I will look into it!~ Smiley Happy