Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skin effect simulation

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on heat dissipation on Bushings. The main source of heat is Joule Heating.

Simcenter 3D is pretty accurate on calculation the Joule Heating but doesn't take into account the Skin effect.

Does anybody faced the same problems and if so how did he solve it ?

Best regards

Adrien L

2 REPLIES

Re: Skin effect simulation

Modeling the skin effect explictly would require modeling the electromagnetics in order to maintain the current density distribution through the conductor. 

In thermal simulations, one approach would be to split the polygon body up to the skin depth. For example, a cable would be divided into its inner core and a layer that represents the skin. The two bodies are then meshed, without creating a mesh mating condition between them. In the simulation, the Joule heating boundary conditions would account for the different currents through the core and the skin layer. A thermal coupling is created between the core and the skin layer. This will maintain the thermal conductivity between the core and skin while creating a spatial variation in the applied current.

Re: Skin effect simulation

[ Edited ]

Hi Zouya_Z,

thank you for your quick answer

Modeling the real current density distribution would indeed the best idea but maybe too difficult and too long for what I'm doing.

Your idea of dividing the conductor into 2 parts is really good.

The only problem  I can think of now is that the depth changes with the temperature and if one split the conductor into 2 parts I won't be able to take into account the temperature change

It's a very little problem in fact  because the depth doesn't vary much.

Thank you again for your answer

Best regards

Adrien