Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Starting "Dynamic, Implicit" ABAQUS calculations from NX 9

Hello,

Is it possible to start "Dynamic, Implicit" ABAQUS calculations from NX 9?

I use both, NX and ABAQUS. I did some impact calculations with NX 601,129 Solver quite successfully and wanted to compare the results to ABAQUS results. And as the NX modeler is much more comfortable than the terrible ABAQUS user interface, I wanted to use the same FEM Model and the Boundary Conditions and send it to the ABAQUS Solver. I managed everything that is necessary to get ABAQUS to start. It also starts calculating, but as I want to do an impact with things falling because of gravity, it is clear that not all volumes/parts are defined with constraints. But that is what is ABAQUS reminded me of.

I imported the *.inp file that NX created directly into ABAQUS and most things looked good. But when I looked at the STEPs I saw that there was “Static, General” and not “Dynamic, Implicit”. When I changed that in ABAQUS it works. But is it possible, to choose “Dynamic, Implicit” directly in NX?

Thank You!
JonkMcCool

7 REPLIES

Re: Starting "Dynamic, Implicit" ABAQUS calculations from NX 9

Hi,

the support of *DYNAMIC in the Abaqus environment was only added in NX10. The correct Abaqus syntax is "*DYNAMIC" without "implicit".

Best regards.

Martin Kuessner

NX CAE Business Development

Global CAE Portfolio Development

Hi Martin, I'm a little confused...  The correct syntax in ABAQUS for explicit dynamic is indeed "*Dynamic, Explicit" as the OP stated, here's an example of one of our drop test models (as seen on our youtube channel: https://youtu.be/io2zxmMMiZc):

*Step, name="DROP TEST", nlgeom=NO
*Dynamic, Explicit

Perhaps I am missing your point entirely...

Hello,

seems that we are both right!

The IMPLICIT dynamic procude in Abaqus is startet with *DYNAMIC while the EXPLICIT dynamic procedure is started with *DYNAMIC, EXPLICIT.

*DYNAMIC, EXPLICIT is not yet supported by NX 10 but there is an NX OPEN script that adds this functionality. Let me know if you are interested in this script!

Best regards.

Martin 

Yep, "implicit" is implicitely meant in "*Dynamics" Smiley Very Happy

I'd love to get ahold of the script if you don't mind as I've got to agree with the OP's remarks on Abaqus/CAE vs. NX...

Hi,

I am happy to share the script with you. Can you send me you details so that I can mail it to you? This script enables to use NX CAE to write Abaqus/Explicit input data - a functionality that will be part of the regular NX functionality in upcoming releases. The script works for NX 8.5 through NX 10.

Best reagrds.

Martin

martin.kuessner(at)siemens.com

Hi,

thank you for your contributions to this discussion. First of all, as MKuessner said, you are both right.

It is called "Dynamic, Implicit" and "Dynamic, Explicit" in the Menue and "Dynamic" and "Dynamic, Explicit" in the Inputfiles.

I have installed NX10 (plus new licence server and so on) just the other day and I had a look around. But when setting up an ABAQUS Solution I cannot find any changes nor can I find where to switch to "Dynamic".

Can you tell us where we can find that. It would be really great if we could combine the user-friendly NX CAD and Pre/Post-Processor Interface with some of the capabilities of ABAQUS.

JonkMcCool

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author JonkMcCool
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

In the window you showed - just click "okay" and in the next window pull down at the first entry which is called SOLUTION. Under the entry "Step" you find a scroll down menue for the various Abaqus procudures including "Dynamics".