Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Thermo-structural coupling with NX

Hi,

I am trying to solve a thermal solution and structural deformation simultaneously.

I know I can map a thermal solution to a structural solution and use that temperature map as a pre-load after the fact that the thermal solution is completed. However, I need both to be coupled an solved simultaneously (or at least close to being simultaneous, transient analysis).

e.g. For time step 1, solve thermal solution as sub-steps --> feed solution to structural analysis --> solve structural solution as sub-steps --> feed solution for time step 2--> thermal solution for time step 2... etc....

It seems it is possible to do so in NX nastran. But I cannot find any steps for doing that. I tried using NX Nastran and NX Multiphysics. But both only allow me to do either a structural or thermal analysis separately.

Does anyone has any suggestion? Does it require any special license?

Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Elaine

7 REPLIES

Re: Thermo-structural coupling with NX

What version of NX are you using? We have major enhancements with multiphysics coming in NX 10. This includes the ability to run solves (thermal & structural) sequentially and concurrently. 

Regards,
Ganesh

Simcenter 3D Community Manager
Simulation and Test Solutions

Thanks for your reply.

I am using NX9.0. When will NX 10 be available?

Elaine,

It would also be good to know what element types and boundary conditions you are using as well. A general description of the problems you need to solve with it would help us.

The NX Multiphysics capabilities are being deployed through a multi-release effort. NX 9 was the initial release, and development efforts continue in versions 10 and 11. Initial support in NX 9 included 3D solid elements on the structural side and 2D and 3D solid elements on the thermal side.

NX 10 extends the support quite a bit and is currently in beta testing. The public release of NX 10 is near the end of 2014.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com

Dear Mark,

I'm trying to do a NX multi-physics thermo-mechanical analysis in NX 10.01. The problem that I'm facing is when I create a surface-to-surface contact, the NX Nastran solver fails, at the very first iteration time. How can I solve this. Help needed.

I have also attatched the error report for correspondence.

Regards

Chaman

Chaman,

Without seeing the model, I suspect it contains rigid body motion that isn't being eliminated by contact. I would try to get the model to run successfully with a linear statics solution and contact before moving on to multiphysics.

Regards,

Mark

Dear Mark, Thanks for the suggestion. The model is as shown above. 

I'm main aim is to obtain thermal strains as a result of thermal loads. Thermal loads are applied but i'm not able to upload them for structural solution. I'm using NX10.

Are the solid meshes sufficiently constrained to remove rigid body motion?