Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thickness source of 2D mesh

N/A
Hi,

I'm workin with NX6.0.4.3 MP2 and Nastran 7.0.

When I'm meshing a midsurface model with a 2D mesh, as "thickness source" is "physical porperties" assigned in "associated mesh data". I have to change the "thickness source" manually into "midsurface" for every simulation to derive the shell thickness from the midsurface.

Is there a possibility to define the "thickness source" in "associated mesh data" as "midsurface" as standard?

Thanks for your help,
Sarah
7 REPLIES

Re: Thickness source of 2D mesh

Innovator
Innovator
Dear Sarah,
NX6.0 is very old, I strongly suggest to update to modern NX 8.0 Advanced Simulation, your CAE "life" will be easier!!.

Back to your problem: currently you can prescribe manually mesh thickness in Shell elements, or let NX AdvSim to compute shell thickness based in the solid dimensions. The requirement is to perform mid-surfacing task in the idealized part, and it should be loaded.

Best regards,
Blas.

N/A
Thanks for your reply.

I know, that NX6 is very old, but unfortunately it is not my decision to update to a higher version.

I have performed the mid-surfacing task in idealized part. But when I mesh the midsurface the thickness information is not available till I change the "thickness source" in "associated mesh data" into "midsurface". When I have changed this, the thickness of the midsurface is available. But where can I define, that the standard "thickness source" in the "associated mesh data" is "midsurface" and not "physical properties" as in my installation is the standard right now?

Innovator
Innovator
Dear Sarah,
In the "Edit Mesh Associated Data" command you have three options for shell thickness:

• Physical Property Table
• Midsurface
• Field

If you select "Midsurface" and you performed the Misdurface extraction task in the Idealized environment you are done, if not you will get a message similar to this:

Master part midsurface_fem1_i.prt is not loaded.
Cannot get element thickness from midsurface.

The advantage of selecting "Midsurface" is clear when you have variable Shell thickness in your model, the thickness is computed automatically by NX AdvSim for every element !!

If you select "Physical Property Table" you will have to edit the "Mesh Collector", then edit the Shell property and define both material and thickness, OK?.

Best regards,
Blas.

N/A
Hi Blas,
I understand the behaviour of NX for the "mesh associated data" and for the "physical properties".
I am only searching for an option the predefine, that the "thickness source" is always set to "midsurface", so that I do not have to change it manually to this option.
Thanks,
Sarah

Innovator
Innovator
Dear Sarah,
This feature is not included under "Customer Defaults > Simulation", then the only resource is to create USER-DEFINED TEMPLATES. You can create your own templates based on the requirements at your site. For example, a template might contain:

A FEM that uses the same coordinate systems, materials, physical properties, mesh color schemes, and naming conventions.
    An analysis that is done repeatedly through a design cycle: the same loads and constraints are applied to each iteration.
In summary, the collectors and their associated physical properties could be pre-defined by a template.

Best regards,
Blas.

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder
Sarah,

The attached NX Open program will assign the thickness source to "Midsurface" for all meshes in the "Midsurface Thk" collector. It could be easily modified to modify the thickness source of all 2D collectors if desired.

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Bernard
Advanced Applications Engineer

Siemens PLM Software
2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH 45150-2712
www.siemens.com/plm

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Sarah,

NX still doesn't provide a customer default for the thickness source, but the edit capabilities that Jim Bernard provided via an NX Open program was delivered in the product in NX 7.5. That version lets you edit many meshes at once with respect to mesh associated data. There is a "Mesh Associated Data" command on the Advanced Simulation toolbar that will first ask the user to select meshes. Select meshes of the same type, then get access to the mesh associated data options. So all or some 2D meshes can be selected and have their thickness source option changed at once.

Regards,
Mark