cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Residual Force

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what exactly the Total Residual Force is. I have a flange tightened to an adapter with surface-to-surface contact + pre load and an additonal load (in bolt shaft direction) at the flange causing a bending moment in the bolt.

I am trying to understand why I get  total residual forces in the bolt's shaft. Are they caused by the contacts between bolt/adapter and bolt/flange? 

I tried to find a definiton of Total Residual Force in the Help and User guides but haven't found anything yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards

1 REPLY

Re: Total Residual Force

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Total residual force from NX post processing is equivalent to the nodal load summation from grid point force output found in the NX Nastran F06 file. At each node, grid point force output in the F06 will have a *Totals* line. The output listed there will match the NX total residual force output. For a body to be in static equilibrium, all forces at all nodes should sum to zero. For grid point force results, this means applied loads, reaction loads, internal element forces,  MPC forces. Sum all of those contributions up, and you should get zero. However, grid point forces do not consider surface-surface contact forces or (I think) glue forces.  So, if you have a model that includes contact, total residual force most likely will NOT sum to zero at nodes used by contacting element faces.

Attached is a simple example of 2 blocks in contact. You will see that total residual forces sum to zero where contact is not involved, but it doesn't sum to zero where there is contact.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Simulation and Test Solutions

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/plm