Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Update Pattern Component in an assembly FEM

I have an assembly (.prt) which contains various constrained parts. From this I created an assembly FEM (.afm) and meshed the parts. I have then used pattern component to create duplicates in the assembly FEM.

When I change the locations of parts in the assembly the original FEM moves in the Assembly FEM, but the pattern stays in the same place.

Is there a way to make the pattern update its location as well?

Thanks,

Peter

3 REPLIES

Re: Update Pattern Component in an assembly FEM

Peter,

I was unable to reproduce the pattern behavior you describe. I tested this in NX 10 using a simple assembly composed of a cylinder and planar face components. When I move the cylinder in the assembly, the cylinder FEM updates its position in the assembly FEM. When I edit the planar face components pattern, their FEM components update position in the assembly FEM. I have to use the Update command in the assembly FEM to apply the changes. The attached JPG shows my model. Originally the pattern was of 3 components equally spaced in 120 degree intervals. Then I changed the pattern to 90 degree intervals. If I modify the pattern to use 4 components, I would have to map the planar face FEM to the new component, but that's expected behavior. Perhaps you are able to identify something in my process that doesn't match what you are doing?

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Simulation and Test Solutions

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/plm

Thanks for your reply, Mark.

It sounds like you have a component pattern in the assembly file which you then mesh in the assembly FEM which, as you said, means that if you increase the number of the pattern, additional components must have a mesh mapped to them.

In order avoid doing that, I have created a pattern of FEMs in the assembly FEM and it is this pattern that does not move with its source FEM as the underlying geometry is moved in the asm.

I hope this clarifies things,

Peter

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter_C
‎12-04-2015 12:48 PM

Peter,

Yes that does help. You are right that I am defining my pattern in the CAD assembly and I'm meshing the component. I'm mapping the component FEM to the original and all of the patterned instances in the CAD.

I didn't think to define the pattern inside the assembly FEM. However, I'm able to do that too. If I move the original component in the assembly FEM, the patterned instances move with it. The pattern is actually saved in the Assembly Navigator, though it can't be edited.

I then went back to my assembly PRT and moved the component PRT. When I switch to the assembly FEM, the component FEM updates its position, but the patterned components aren't updating their positions. You've found a bug. I'll submit a PR on it.

As a 2nd workaround, try adding the component FEM to the assembly FEM without mapping it to the component PRT. Move the component FEM in the assembly FEM. All of the FEM instances will move with the original component FEM.

Regards,

Mark