Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Utilizing all CPU cores for meshing in NX 9.0.2

I have managed to get NASTRAN and other solvers to run on all cores, but meshing will still only run on one core, while I have 7 other logics just standing by.

Is there a way to make meshing run on all cores, or is this the type of task that does not run well with multiple cores?

thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: Utilizing all CPU cores for meshing in NX 9.0.2

[ Edited ]

Hello Sigrm,

As for my understanding on your meshing issue, by far I dont think NX mesher is capable for multi-core meshing operation..

Hope this helps.

Tuw

You can always try UGII_SMP_ENABLE=1 to see if meshing is taking advantage of multiple CPU, but I don't think it does...

Hello,

I find this a very important issue. All the workstations come with 4,6,8 or even more cores. While the Solvers are able to use more than on core, NX itself seem to not benefit at all from multiple core systems. Why would someone that is doing only CAD and no simulation need a machine with more than two cores? Are there situations in which NX can use more cores?

@JimB or MarkLamping

Are there any activities in that direction the development?

Thanks!

JonkMcCool

[ Edited ]

It would certainly be nice to have, I agree.  Just to add to the discussion, there are some meshers that are multithreaded.  And it's not only academia type of products, actual commercial codes.  ANSYS Parallel Mesher and 3DEXPERIENCE Hex-dominant mesher (see an example here: https://twitter.com/TENTECHLLC/status/756648264297017345) both distribute the meshing load across multiple cores/CPU...