cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

movable local coordinate system

Creator
Creator

I have an assembly statically load in one point of a part. There are any way to get relative displacement between the parts?

I am thinking about coordinate systems that can move within the parts and I could display the displacement result of a specific point for each part coordinate system. That way I could calculate the total stiffness with the global coordinate system and the stiffness of each part with each local coordinate system.

8 REPLIES

Re: movable local coordinate system

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Do you want relative displacement between 2 nodes in a model? I am using SC 11 and you can get relative displacements both in terms of the display/animation and the result reported via the color bar, identify, and annotations. Create a displacement contour plot and edit the Post View. Turn ON the Deformation option and enter its Results sub-dialog. There you can select a reference node. All displacements in the model can be reported relative to that node in the selected coordinate system. The coordinate system doesn't move, but the frame of reference is about a point (node) that has moved.

Regards,

Mark

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I have selected the post view the reference node and I can see the animation has changed. But the values in the “identify results” don’t.  Actually when I pick my reference node in the identify results window, it shows a displacement value. It shouldn’t be zero?

Siemens Phenom

I think you are getting tripped up by the 2 locations in the UI for reference node. You are describing the reference node for the deformed model. This is in Edit Post View, Deformation, Result's sub-dialog.

Another reference node option is in the Set Result dialog. In Edit Post View, this is the Result sub-dialog in the Color Display line. This reference node will offset the color bar and identify results relative to the reference node's value.

Regards,

Mark

Creator
Creator

Hi Mark, thanks for your attention.

In Edit Post View, the Result sub-dialog in the Color Display line shows me this window, with no reference node option

result.JPG

Siemens Phenom

OK the key is in the versions we're using. I'm using SC 11 and you have something older. I didn't realize this was an enhancement added in 11.

Regards,

Mark

SelectResults.jpg

Legend
Legend

Mark,

very intersting explanation.

Does the correction of displacement values of the complete structure in SC11 by means of displacement values of a specific grid point (node) also include the rotations of the specific grid point, or does it only make a subtraction of the displacement values of the specific grid point from the values of all grid points?

I can't try it because we do not yet have a license for Simcenter 11.

I look for a method to transform the global deformation state be means of the displacement AND rotation of a specific deformed position or a coordinate system following the deformations AND roations of entites of the structure (i.g. RBE3-representation of a grid point area).

Can the algorithm master it?

With best regard, Michael.

Siemens Phenom

Michael,

In post you operate on translations separately from rotations. The two aren't considered in the same display; it's one or the other. So, what you have is a simple subtraction of the reference node's result from all other node results.

Regards,

Mark

Legend
Legend

Mark,

tanks for answering. This is the situation, which I did expect, sorrowfully.

Michael