Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

surface gluing vs mesh mating conditions

Hello,

I am experiencing the following problem:

In a 601 solution, for two surfaces, that are in contact, I define a mesh mating condition, but also a surface to surface gluing condition. I receive the message:

"In GLUEMESH 1, master and slave cannot have shared nodes (node 18962 is shared)"

The mentioned node lies on an edge, common to the two faces.

If I do not prescribe a surface to surface gluing condiion (only mesh mating), the analysis finishes ok and it seems that the two bodies interact correctly?

The same problem, in solution 106 works fine with a surface to surface gluing condition!

I do not understand what's happening!

Many thanks

Ionut

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lambrescu
‎12-23-2016 07:09 AM

Re: surface gluing vs mesh mating conditions

Hi Ionut,

Mating Conditions allow you to connect 2 bodies with coincident meshes. If you setup a mating condition, the common face of 2 bodies will be split and you will get a coincident mesh on that common face (if you select the mating condition: "Glue Coincident").

The Mating Condition Dialog allows you to select the following options:

Glue Coincident : Generates concident mesh

Glue Non.Coincident : Generates connections

Free Coincident : Generates 2 Mesh surfaces with coincident node positions

Please find more information on mating conditions types in the documentation:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help/#uid:xid1128419:index_advanced:xid389654:...

I assume you used the "Glue Coincident" Type for your mating condition. In this case, you will get a single mesh for the 2 bodies. They are connected via coincident nodes in the contact zone - no additional glue contact defintion is needed in that case.

In Sol 101 or 106 this seems to be ignored, in 601 you get the stated error message.

You can remove the glue condition as due to the mating you have a single mesh that does not need any additional glue connection.

Best regards
Boris

Re: surface gluing vs mesh mating conditions

Dear Boris,

Thank you for your help. It solved the problem.

Kind regards

Ionut