cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming for engineers, children, and cats

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Has anyone used NX (or any other CAD system) to teach basic programming skills to engineering students? In my experience Programming 101 revolves around silly exercises like changing text to upper case, or sorting lists of numbers. Input and output is via a console window. This is deathly boring, and it's not surprising that students get turned off. With a CAD system, a few lines of code can create an interesting picture, so it's a lot more fun. Typically, engineering students find 3D models much more entertaining than text strings or lists of numbers.

We have taught basic programming to groups of student interns, with mixed results. I have also used my wife and daughter (age 13) as subjects in my educational experiments, so now they both know how to write SNAP code. The cat will be the next victim -- he has already successfully compiled some code that I wrote.

Any other experiences in this area, at either the high-school, university, or domestic pet level?

山田
yamada
4 REPLIES

Re: Programming for engineers, children, and cats

Siemens Phenom

I found an interesting book titled "Help Your Kids with Computer Coding" from DK Publishing of books.  It's aimed as young kids but it does cover a lot of ground including touching on some of the more complex programming issues and capabilities of different programming languages and tools:

http://us.dk.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781465419569,00.html

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom
Interesting that their chosen language is Python. Probably a good choice, though not a common one, I would guess. Python was originally developed for teaching, but I don't know how often it's used that way. My impression is that many schools are teaching C/C++, which is a horrible choice, in my opinion.

But, anyway, the question was about NX and CAD, not so much about languages.
山田
yamada

Siemens Phenom

An interesting aside is that with NX 10.0, the Python programming language is being added as an additional language binding for NX Open.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am reinstalling my solidedge but when i installed it again its academic licence code is not working please help