Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Analysis failure

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I have been battling with Femap for whole day and just cant get it to work.

Now I finally made it to analysis and right away got multiple problems.

1:

First thing that happened when I hit "Analyze" button was that error popped saying that there is no path to NX nastran solver. As it turns out I have to define environment variable with path for NX Nastran solver. I think that this can also be done from Preferences -> Solvers.

Now when I installed Femap I did choose to install NX Nastran option but I can not find any executable file from Femap folder or Nastran folder from Program Files. I know that Solid Edge simulation also uses this solver so I routed path to:

Solid Edge ST10 -> Simulation -> x64 -> nastran -> bin and then choosed nastran.exe.

I have no idea if this is supposed to work or which nastran executable to use (there is heaps in that folder).

Why is there no executable in Femap folders?

2:

Anyway this got me passed that error but now as soon as calculations begin I get fallowing error:

*USER FATAL MESSAGE 1259 (GETLIN)

PREPOCESSOR CONTROL VALIDATION FAILED (A)

THE BULK DATA SECTION OF THE INPUT DATA HAS BEEN CHANGED OR WAS CREATED ON A DIFFERENT COMPUTER.

Part file was created in Solid Edge ST10 and on the same computer. I tried with multiple parts and assemblies -> always the same error. There was some discussion in the forums with similar issue but I could not really understand those explanations.

Can there still be some issues with my part files or maybe is this still related to nastran path problem?

Odd thing is that after trying to simulate I can not open Solid Edge part and assembly files anymore. Before they opened just fine. Now window with following error pop up: Invalid Version 11.4 Model Database (-5.684e+ 159) If this is an old model it must be converted, otherwise choose a different file.

3:

There is one more thing that I can`t figure out -> integrating Femap to Solid Edge. When I installed Femap I did check "Solid Edge Connection" which said in description that this installs Femap plug-in for Solid Edge. However I can not access Femap from Solid Edge (Femap option is grayed out). I tried using Solid Edge Add in manager with no luck. 

I hope that somebody can help.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES

Re: Analysis failure

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

Uff, what a problem, you have created really a mesh with the installation!!.

Don't try to configure any path for the solver, both softwares FEMAP & SIMULATION use different versions of NX NASTRAN, then DELETE any USER PATH for the solver. Please note you are installing "FEMAP with NX NASTRAN", a bundle that includes both FEMAP pre&postprocesor & the solver NX NASTRAN.

First at all enter FEMAP and go to FILE > PREFERENCES and configure the software, use this link to set the basic options: http://www.iberisa.com/soporte/femap/femap_tips_tricks_preferencias.htm

Second, when you create any Analysis Set study in the first window please make sure to choose "Integrated Solver", this way you are using the NX NASTRAN solver installed together with FEMAP, OK?.

integrated-solver.png

To learn more about the location of NX NASTRAN solvers you can visit my blog in the following address:

https://iberisa.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/requisitos-hardware-de-nx-nastran/

Basically they are located at <femap-install-dir>/nastran/bin, please make sure this directory exist in your computer, if not you must reinstall FEMAP V11.4.2 making sure to active both FEMAP and NX NASTRAN.

You can import in FEMAP any part or assembly from SOLID EDGE ST10, I suggest to use FILE > IMPORT command in FEMAP. My preferences are always to use Parasolid, not native format. When exporting a Parasolid file from an Assembly in Solid Edge using command SAVE AS > SAVE AS TRANSLATED > Parasolid if you click in OPTIONS you can set "Export Displayed Only", this way you can select the important files to share with FEMAP, not need to impot the full assembly in the case to read native assembly files (*.Asm) from Solid Edge, OK?

parasolid-export-displayed-only.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Creator
Creator

Dear Blas,

Wow I really misunderstood all that solver stuff.

It seems that I have to start from reinstalling the whole thing because there is no /nastran/bin folder in Femap directory and in Analasys Set window "Integrated solver" is grayed out.

I wonder why this has happened. I included everything during installation.

I will see how that goes and I will then try to properly configure Femap.

Also great tip regarding file formats. I will now follow these methods.

Can`t thank You enough for taking time and giving such great explanations!

Best regards,

Margus

Creator
Creator

After reinstalling everything works just fine and integrated solver is available. Finally!

Still no integration to Solid Edge though but that is not essential.

Thanks again!