Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

BSURF and BGSET Connection for 601 Analysis

Experimenter
Experimenter

Running a plate bending analysis with a block placed on top of the plate. Block is modeled with CHEXA elements. Plate modeled with CQUAD4 elements. Trying to use a glued connector to connect the dissimilar meshes and running into issues. The .f06 spits out this error when trying to run the model. I've tried deleting the "unsupported fields" out of the PSHELL card and running the model but the same error pops up. Anything pop out to someone that's obviously wrong? I've run numerous analysis using only solids with no problems so I know it must be something with the quads but I don't know what I've goofed up.

***WARNING: THE FOLLOWING LIST SHOWS UNSUPPORTED FIELDS FOR CERTAIN BULK DATA
ENTRIES PROCESSED IN THIS INPUT FILE. YOUR MODEL MAY BE AFFECTED
IF VALUES ARE ENTERED IN THESE UNSUPPORTED FIELDS.

********************************************************************************
* ENTRY : UNSUPPORTED FIELDS / RESTRICTIONS *
* ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- *
* PSHELL : MID2, 12I/T**3, MID3, TS/T, NSM, Z1, Z2, MID4 *
* : *
********************************************************************************

***ERROR: BSURF 1 cannot be used for BGSET/BFLUID.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: BSURF and BGSET Connection for 601 Analysis

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

The Advanced Nonlinear Module (SOL601) does not support gluing of shell edges of type EDGE-to-EDGE or EDGE-to-SURFACE, then the error:

• Edge-to-edge glue definitions are supported in all solutions except SOLs 144 -146, 601 and 701.
  • Edge-to-surface glue definitions are supported in all solution sequences except solutions 144 -146, 601 and 701. In the heat transfer solutions 153 and 159, they are treated as conductivity connections. They cannot be used to represent acoustic glue connections. The edges of shell elements that use the plane strain option defined with MID2=-1 on the PSHELL entry are not supported in edge-to-surface glue

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Strange. What I would like to use is a Surface-to-Surface connector between the Quad face and CHEXA face. Is there a way to force the connector type? I've attached a picture which shows the stackup I'm trying to glue together. The plate is glued to a solid which sits on another solid. I've never had trouble gluing solid element faces together but get this error when using the same method for the plate.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, ClueslessFEM. 

As far as I know, you cannot use surf-surf contact in 601 with CQUAD elements.

If you insist, you can model those with HEXA.

If your  intention were to glue the surfaces together and your region of interest is reasonably far from the contact region you can try use RBE2 spider instead. Try to use coarse 3D mesh and compare results with those with a rigid link, see if it fits.