Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Change of material on elements

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I have a quite complex model (0.5M elements, 700 properties) made up of shell, beam and bars.

I need to modify the material (density of the material) of a part of the mesh (many elements with different properties) but keep the property unmodified for the other elements (that could have the same properties).

Do you know any method of doing it smoothly?

Thanks very much

Best Regards

Guido

4 REPLIES

Re: Change of material on elements

Phenom
Phenom

In modeling of ships it is common practice to split mesh using copies of properties to separete parts of structure.

You get properties:

1. Floor 10mm plate Frame 1 Port side;

2. Floor 10mm plate Frame 1 Starboard side;

3. Floor 10mm plate Frame 2 Port side;

4. Floor 10mm plate Frame 2 Starboard side;

So each region have it`s own property. Then you can tune density to represent nonstructural parts.

Ship with 10 plates and 10 beam elements nomenclature can have thousands of individual copies of properties.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

Thanks for the help. Indeed this was what I was planning to do. The model is already there with more than 500 properties to be duplicated and reassigned for every part.

Do you know any smart/authomatic method to duplicate the properties and reassign the duplicated property to the right element?  I need to do it about 20 times for more than 500 property.

Thanks

Best Regards

Guido

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not sure it is totally what you want to do, but I am attaching an API script that allows you to select some elements and it will automatically make a set of duplicate properties and materials for those elements. I just wrote it now and it isn't very elegant... the titles match the originals and it isn't going to duplicate things like function references or handle special cases like laminates or some element types, but if it is just an issue of an element referencing a property which references a material, it should handle that.

Hope this helps.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Depending on how you are numbering your model, it might be helpful to go to Tools->Parameters and set the Next ID for both Properties and Materials.  That will allow you to control the ID ranges of the Properties and Materials that are created.