Defining orientation (or CSYS) for constraints,...

Builder
Builder

Hi,

Is it possible to orient constraints to a specific direction or align them with a specific CSYS axis?!

Thanks,

Aero1

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Defining orientation (or CSYS) for constraints,...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For Geometry constraints, you set it to Advanced Types, Abitrary in CSys and select the CSys direction(s).

For Nodal constraints, you specify the CSys and DOFs.

2017-12-15_10-15-42.jpg

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Builder
Builder

Thanks Chip, how can I redefine or change the CSYS of an existing nodal constraint?

Aero1

Siemens Phenom

For a Nodal constraint, you need to apply the command, Modify > Update Other > Node Definition CSys and assign the CSys that you want to set the DOFs for.

For a geometry constraint , you can edit the constraint and assign a different CSys

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke

Builder
Builder

I've tried that command before, that would change the CSYS of the node but not the constraint defined at that node, so that when I change the "Label Mode" of the modified constraint to "Pin, DOF", I still see that the axis of the constraint are aligned with the axis of the old CSYS,...

BTW, what is the difference between nodal and geometric coordinate systems?

Thanks,

Aero1

Builder
Builder

I just noticed that they orient themselves with the output CSYS!.

Siemens Phenom

Coordinate systems (CSys) are independent of nodes and geometry, and can be used for both geometry and mesh creation and editing.  Note that coordinate systems are nested in that you can relate a CSys to another CSys and if you reposition the CSys that you relate a CSys to, that CSys will reposition as well.

Constraints can be assigned to nodes or geometry.  Geometry constraints are automatically expanded to nodal constraints when you run an analysis or save an analysis input deck.  You can also convert geometry constraints to nodal constraints using the command Model > Constraints > Expand.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke