Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a Node

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello All,

I am modifying my model and have a bunch of  nodes I like to delete but can't because they are part of various loads.  Is there a way to remove the nodes from all the loads all at once instead of removing the nodes load by load??  Thanks in advance!!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Deleting a Node

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Delete - Model - Load Individual, choose the "All Load Sets" option, hit OK, choose the nodes, hit OK, don't pick any elements, just hit OK, they'll be gone.  You can then delete the nodes.

Mark.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hello Mark,

I tried your method and it worked but with one weird bug which maybe just on my FEMAP. I couldn't remove the loads from my selected nodes alone if I didn't pick any elements and just clicked OK. I had to pick at least one element OR after choosing the "All Load Sets" option, I went down to the elements section and unchecked all the options. The latter two methods allowed me to remove the nodes from all the load sets. I might be missing something but I had to include those steps for the function to work properly. Thanks for the tip.

Phenom
Phenom

Femap will not allow you to delete nodes if there are elements using those nodes.  You can use Delete -> Model -> Mesh to delete elements and their nodes, but only those nodes which are not attached to any remaining elements will be deleted.  Your initial question suggested that you had "orphan" nodes (unconnected to elements) and the nodes refused to delete only because of the loads on the nodes. But your 2nd post indicates the nodes are also connected to elements.  Femap will never allow you to select just nodes and delete those nodes if used by elements.  This is not a bug, it is deliberate design.  Similarly, a material cannot be deleted if used by a property; a property cannot be deleted if used by any element - the "parent(s)" must be deleted before the "child" can be deleted.

Occasionally (fairly rarely) entities refuse to delete even if they have no parents - this can be sorted using File -> Rebuild, then delete.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hello EndZ,

Sorry for the confusion but I was still referring to "orphan" nodes without any elements. When I followed Mark's original plan where he told me to just click ok and not pick any elements, that part was causing the function to not work. There is two GUIs that pop up for selection, one for nodes and one for elements. If I left the element GUI blank, it doesn't work that's why in the very first GUI where I select "All Load Set" I had to uncheck all the element options which in turn did not prompt me to select elements and the procedure removed my orphan nodes from all the load sets properly.