Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Femap API - Skipping initial neutral file dialog when opening

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

I'm trying to write an API program to open up a bunch of old Femap files and write out neutral files without the results. Whenever I open the files, it immediately opens a neutral file import dialog and asks what items should be imported. I'd like to do a bunch of these in batch mode without having to click on the dialog box for each file. Is there a way to get the API to skip that user dialog and just accept the defaults?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Femap API - Skipping initial neutral file dialog when opening

Phenom
Phenom

It looks like you need to use the Femap Application -> File ->  fefileReadNeutral3 method, which allows you to set all these choices within your API.  The equivalent for exporting looks like feFileWriteNeutral2.

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

To follow up on this, it seems that Femap uses one of the neu_*.exe neutral file converter executables on the model when it opens. Each executable only works for a certain version of Femap, so it somehow first detects the model version before running the executable. Is there a way to determine the version of a Femap file without opening the file?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

I don't know, how should you check version in official way, but I found in beginning of all model file (*.mod, *.modfem) the version number from Femap v8 (in the file header). You can find string "APPL=FEMAP Version " and next you can find the version number (after SPACE character). Searching can be finished if you found string "END_OF_HEADER".

Text                                            - Absolut position in the file (hexadecimal)

"APPL=FEMAP Version 8.00"   - 0720H

"APPL=FEMAP Version 10.11" - 0234H

"APPL=FEMAP Version 11.11" - 0234H

"APPL=FEMAP Version 11.20" - 0234H

"APPL=FEMAP Version 11.31" - 0234H

"APPL=FEMAP Version 11.42" - 0234H

I think so you can identify Femap version of your models.

Best regards

Peter Kaderasz