Did you mean: 

Femap needs to better support MSC Nastrans newer features- feature requests

Creator
Creator

Hi there,

Unless I'm mistaken, Femap has no support for MSC Nastran's following features:

1) SOL400

2) HDF5 results format

Both are the focus of MSC Nastran development.

SOL106 is legacy stuff and SOL400 is the future for all Nastran non-linear development.

There are currently a whole zoo of MSC Nastran results file formats, including 'old' OP2's, 'new' OP2's and XDB's. HDF5 replaces all of these and Femap needs to support this file format in order to remain relevant.

Thanks very much,

Damian

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Keeping up with MSC Nastran- feature requests

Phenom
Phenom

NX Nastran does have SOL401, which is pretty much the same idea as SOL400.

As for HDF5, it's definitely something that would be very useful.  MSC has supported this for a couple releases, and  so far it's been very good.  When combined with HDFView, it's quite useful.  I agree the juggling of POST values to get results for one solution or the other is a huge pain, no doubt that HDF5 would simplify everybody's life.

Creator
Creator

@TENTECHLLC wrote:

NX Nastran does have SOL401, which is pretty much the same idea as SOL400.

As for HDF5, it's definitely something that would be very useful.  MSC has supported this for a couple releases, and  so far it's been very good.  When combined with HDFView, it's quite useful.  I agree the juggling of POST values to get results for one solution or the other is a huge pain, no doubt that HDF5 would simplify everybody's life.

But if I write out a SOL401 analysis, will that run in MSC Nastran SOL400?

Phenom
Phenom
Of course not, why should it? SOL400 is based on Marc, Siemens doesn't own Marc... The divergence happened at MSC Nastran 2001, the source code EDS got, so it's expected that there will be some compatibility issues.

MSC Nastran can't do anything with SOL401 either, so we're equally punished :-)

Creator
Creator

@TENTECHLLC wrote:
Of course not, why should it? SOL400 is based on Marc, Siemens doesn't own Marc... The divergence happened at MSC Nastran 2001, the source code EDS got, so it's expected that there will be some compatibility issues.

MSC Nastran can't do anything with SOL401 either, so we're equally punished :-)

I know it won't, that's my point.

Femap is supposed to be a solver 'neutral' pre and post processor, it says so in the brochure. For improved compatibility with MSC Nastran, we need support for SOL400 cards, and we need HDF5 results file support. Both things are possible.

Phenom
Phenom

I see what you mean... I misread your post, my mistake. I agree with you then :-)

I think there has been a tendency of favoring NX Nastran as far as support for quite a few years.  MSC relied too much on FEMAP and went dormant with their Pre/Post until FEMAP was taken away from them...

I see Siemens' point, it's the same with NX, why should they cater to their competitor (MSC couldn't be bothered if FEMAP or NX can't read their op2). But for a user, it'd be very good to be able to use FEMAP or NX with NX Nastran and MSC Nastran neutrally. Especially knowing the alternative from MSC is the Patran freakshow or the immature APEX (although quite good)...

Creator
Creator

I think the subject line of my post wasn't too clear so I think that is the source of any confusion. I've altered it now to better get accross my thoughts Smiley Happy

Damo

Highlighted

Re: Femap needs to better support MSC Nastrans newer features- feature requests

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This is a very timely topic, the FEMAP Development Team just finished our release meeting, to finalize content for v2019.1 (April Release).  We also went through project priorities for our next couple of releases.

The Simcenter Nastran team has been busy with numerous new features, most notably Multi-Step Nonlinear solution sequences 401 and 402, which the FEMAP team has been busy coding Pre/Post support for in FEMAP v2019.1.  As we look forward, the topics mentioned in this conversation has received increased priority.  Support for HDF5 results from both MSC and Simcenter NASTRAN, and support for MSC’s Multi-Step Nonlinear solution sequence 400 have moved to the top of our priorities.  We plan on adding support for these items over the next two FEMAP major release cycles, October 2019 and April 2020.

Mark

Creator
Creator

That's great to hear Mark, thanks very much :-)

Pioneer
Pioneer
Marc,
Is Femap 2019.1 still scheduled to be released by end of this month?