Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding max results values?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am trying to find the location of my max stresses in my model. I thought that should be easy, but since my mesh is very fine, I can only see my mesh. How can I display the location of my max stress?

Thank you for any help.

Bernt

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Finding max results values?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Bernt,

Use "F6 > Postprocessing > Contour/Criteria Style > Max Min", this way you will see in the screen the maximum & minimum values.

f6-postprocessing-max-min.png

Next the "trick" I do to locate the maximum in the model is to zoom out and you will see the numbers of the maximum stress, simply zoom in and you are done.

Also, in models with millions of elements a good recomendation when plotting contour results is to SET OFF the VIEW FILLED EDGES option, this way the edges of the elements will not be plotted in the screen:

view-filled-edges-OFF.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank yopu very much, Blas.

But how do you set the VIEW FILLED EDGES to off.

I'm sorry, but I am quite new to FEMAP

Bernt

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Bernt,

Click the CUBE icon, there you have the Filled Edges feature to set ON/OFF:

view-filled-edges-OFF2.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a follow up question for this, the Max and Min Value labels only show up for me when I am in the contour mode and not criteria. Is there a way to get them to show up in Criteria as well? 

Thanks

Tyrel Rupp 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can't get the Max/Min labels to show up, but there are a number of alternate methods to find the Max/Min.

1) In the dialog where you select the Output Set/Vectors to display, you can press "Vector Info" and it will show you something like this..

image.png

Here you can see the Max/Min values and the associated Element IDs.

2)  An even better way is to open the Data Table ( Tools->Data Table if it isn't already open). Then choose List->Output->Results to Data Table.  You may be asked to Unlock the table...if so, click Yes.  Simply take the default options for the Report Style in the next dialog. You will then see a dialog to choose Output Sets and Vectors. Pick whichever ones you want to investigate.. but only Nodal or Elemental results, not both at the same time.  Press OK, and simply Select All nodes or elements...or limit to just the ones you are interested in. If you go to the Data Table, you should see something like this.  You can click on the various headers to sort on that column, so the Max or Min will move to the top of the column.  If you turn on the highlighter (last icon on that toolbar), when you click on a row (or multiple rows) in the table, the elements will be shown in your model. Using this you can see not only the Max/Min, but any range of elements that might be important. image.png

Hope this helps.

Genius
Genius

This is a bit old school, but it'll highlight some other features of FEMAP like:

- Custom Formats

- Show Entities

1. List...Output...Standard...(the way it was done before the data table...it's a hot-key in our custom toolbar)

pic1.png

Pick  the outputs you want to query:

pic1.1.png

You'll get this dialog.  Pick "Summary" in this case and the output vector [results] you're curious about. 

pic2.png

NOTE:  The "Format ID" list is likely not similar to what you see.  We've customize our format.esp file to the most common output vectors we use.  You'll probably need to scroll/seach for the ones you're interested in.

Note that there's lots of other nice filters too (like max, min, between, etc.)  Hit "F1" to get more info on those.

We'll use "Details Only" to get beam element end forces for weld and bolt group evaluation on a particular element and output set.

Next is the entity selection.  (Tip:  "Alt+S" selects all):

pic.2.1.png

And in the message window, you'll get Max/Min.

pic3.png

NOTE:  Again, this format is customised for our office.  Yours will look different.  But I think it shows how "clean" you can make the custom formats.  In this case, it's the Max/Min Plate von Mises top & bottom across all output sets: 

Now stage 2:  View Entity

This is a great tool.  Highlight the entity you're interested in.  NOTE:  Shortcut = "Shift +F12"

pic4.png

Here's the dialog:  I've turned on ID, Transparent Highlight, and Autoscale.

- I'll see the ID label

- Other entities will be transparent

- Zoom in on the entity I list:

pic5.png

You'll get another familiar selection dialog.  In this case I picked Element 1, since it had the highest/lowest stress in the query I had.  Now my screen looks like this:

pic6.png

Element 1 (peak stress) highlighed and zoomed in.  All other elements set to "transparent"

Genius
Genius

Note from grudy's pic of the data table:

pic1.png

The Highlight / Show Entity is available from the data table.  Sort on your vector of interest...click on the "row" and click the Highlight icon.