Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Geometry Manipulation - Removing holes

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear all,

I am having trouble manipulating geometry in FEMAP involving holes shared by multiple surfaces.  I received a .stp file which came with a solid model still having fastener holes.  I managed to extract the OML from the solid but is having difficulty removing the hole from the surfaces.  See attached photo.  I have tried Meshing>Feature Removal>Loops/Curves and it does not work on these type holes I have.  Not sure if it's dependent on how the holes were made in the first place but something about it being shared on multiple surfaces is not allowing the removal functions to work properly for me. Any help is appreciated. 

fastener hole.png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Geometry Manipulation - Removing holes

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

A loop cannot have branching curves as you have in your model.

You can either remove the hole by the Curve removal tool in the Meshing Toolbox, or remove the attached curves, then you should be able to remove the hole by removing a loop.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the help.

I have tried to use the Curve removal tool in the Meshing Toolbox but it doesn't completely remove the hole, see picture below.  I understand the extra curves attached to the hole is what is causing the issue but I can't delete them because they are part of the solid I extracted from.  Is there any way to disassociate it from the original geometry to allow me to delete them?? 

Hole.png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Please look at the attached video.   When you use the Remove Curves tool, you need to use the Select Multiple option instead of one curve at a time.

If you have v11.3 or later, you can also use the Remove Point tool to remove the point on the remaining curves.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you so much ChipFricke!!! Removing the points to clean up the geometry was a good idea.  Through several iterations of removing the curves I finally got there.  It came down to simplifing the hole before removing it completely with the curve removal tool.