How can I save the deformed mesh after analysis as a geometry or oraphan mesh ?

Innovator
Innovator

Hi All

Is there a way to save the deformed geometry from an analysis as a geometry like STEP or IGES file ? if not orphane mesh ?

I use FEMAP v10.3

13 REPLIES 13

Re: How can I save the deformed mesh after analysis as a geometry or oraphan mesh ?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

After you ran the solver use API "CUSTOM TOOLS > POSTPROCESSING > NODES MOVE by DEFORM WITH OPTONS", enter factor 1.0 in the three axis and all your nodes will be updated with deformed shape.

Next the geometry: you need to play with "Geometry > Surface > From Mesh", this command attempts to create a surface from any number of selected shell elements. It is best to select elements that will cre­ate a single surface instead of selecting all of the elements in the model. It is also better to select only one half of any “closed boundary” (for example, a cylindrical shape), instead of trying to have it create a surface all at once, enjoy!.

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Re: How can I save the deformed mesh after analysis as a geometry or oraphan mesh ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you have a plate/shell meshed model, after moving the mesh to its deformed location as Blas describes, you can export the deformed mesh as a Stereolithography (STL) file.  If your mesh is solid, you can skin it with shell elements with Mesh- Edge Members, and then export that shell mesh as STL.

Stereolithography export can be found at File - Export - Geometry.

Mark.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Mark,
Femap will export STL directly from a solid mesh (element free faces), even if the solid mesh is brick elements. In the latter case, Femap automatically splits the quad faces diagonally to create the triangular facetted STL.
Cheers,

Innovator
Innovator

Thank you very much but :

"Geometry > Surface > From Mesh

doesn't exist in FEMAP V10.3.

I am trying various methods, to export from neutral or export geomtry, but it seems to be in vain

Innovator
Innovator

Also one question , is the command

CUSTOM TOOLS > POSTPROCESSING > NODES MOVE by DEFORM WITH OPTONS

different that the Icon which shows the deformed structure that toggles the displayt into deformed or they are both the same thing ?

Innovator
Innovator

I exported to STL , but I only have these options in both cases , before and after saving

femap.png

Phenom
Phenom
I still have V10.3 and Geometry | Surface | from Mesh does exist in this version.

Phenom
Phenom
Yes it's different. One simply displays the model with a deformed appearance, the other physically moves the nodes according to the TX, TY, TZ translations of the active result set. You should confirm simply by listing the node locations before and after, that they have moved.

Phenom
Phenom
STL is a "mesh" format for Femap. If you import back into Femap it interprets STL as mesh, not Femap geometry. Some CAD systems have a capability to interpret STL as a form of geometry, although usually a little messy, because it is a triangular faceted representation of the shape.