Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I apply wave loading so a ship hull

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to simulate the effect of a wave on ship structure, but having a hard time coming up with the right approach. The wave has a trochoidale profile that is defined by X = Wave Length * (phi/360) + Wave Height*(sin of phi/2), Y = (Wave height * (1-cos phi)/2) Y ( is vertical direction). I did plot the wave profile in excel but just can't seem to get a function out of it, I tried the trendline but the formula that I got was not making any sense. Is there any way to plot this wave profile in FEMAP? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do I apply wave loading so a ship hull

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Try to make many points with pressure values in excel and export this data to Femap as Data Table -> Arbitrary 3D Data Surface.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Karachun,
Thank you for your reply, I did that with by entering quite a bit of point in the x direction (longitudinal) with pressure values along Z (vertical), basically two splines, one at a transverse location y = -90in and one at a location y = +90 in. It seems like I might need to add more data at multiple stations in y direction as it looks like it interpolating pressure values in y direction at the bottom of the hull.Data Surface Spline.JPGpressure map.jpg

Pioneer
Pioneer
Adding more points did work, thanks!