Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mesh constraint on surfaces using curves (like mesh points)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, Similar to creating mesh points on surface. Is there a way to create curve constraint for mesh on a surface. The curve is not part of surface, so i need to find a way to force nodes along the curve. One way is to break/slice/partition the surface. This is an automated process and partitioning is ruled out. pic attached. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Mesh constraint on surfaces using curves (like mesh points)

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Why don't you just project the curve onto the surface?  <Geometry><Curve - From Surface><Project...>  That will split the surface into two connected surfaces.  Then the mesh will follow the curve.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

If you don't like to project curves to surface, you can set mesh size on these curves, mesh generating only nodes, then these nodes you can use in Mesh / Mesh Control / Mesh Points on Surface... command with option "Use Existing Nodes" (selecting nodes on curves). Afterwards you can mesh surface.

Best regards

Peter Kaderasz

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

Also you don´t need to create the curves, but directly the effect: use command "Geometry > Curve - From Surface > Offset Curves/Washer", set the offset value, select the boundary curves, and you are done!. Offset Curves is a more “general” mode that can be used for oblong holes, slots, and other “general shapes” on many different types of geometric surfaces.

offset-curve.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you. I would like to keep the surface to help with contact surface creation.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you. That's a good idea.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I will not have any nodes at that point to choose and use as mesh points. This is an automation that I'm working on. A surface is created with offset curves as shown in attached picture. When I mesh this surface, I need to capture the offset curves without breaking the surface.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

here is a sample model, created according to my previous post.

Mesh_constraint_on_surfaces_using_curves.jpg

Best regards

Peter Kaderasz

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Yes, you are right. I did not know abt the option of generating only nodes. Thank you.