Models connection with Reference Manager

Creator
Creator

Hello everyone. I have a such problem :

I need  make connection (a link) between files in FEMAP. For example, I have two model A and B. I need "import" model A in model B in such way that model B will update automaticly when were any changes in model A.

I know that there is a such thing like File/Reference. But it doesn't work properly.  When I add file, the button "Read File" is not active. 

May be some one knows how to solve it?

I have Femap version 11.4.0

Thanks in advanced

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Models connection with Reference Manager

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

I don't have good experience with the FILE > REFERENCES command, it has potentially a big benefit to link CAD geometry to FEMAP models to allow automatic update once the CAD model changes, but in real life with the professional use of real models mainly based on Shell & Beam elements (and also HEX elements) the geometry we use in FEMAP is totally different to the source CAD model because we try to simplify all, remove features, perform midsurface creation, etc.. and we can get rid of source CAD geometry very soon.

And regarding "linking MODEL B into MODEL A and if MODEL B changes to be updated in MODEL A ..." this doesn't really exist in FEMAP, or at least I don't know how to do it in a practical way, others can help here and share experiences. Take a look to FILE > MERGE command, this is really powerful, it takes care of node & element label conflict, you have control of every entity to import, very good, is like inserting a CAD part in a CAD ASSEMBLY.

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Creator
Creator
Thank you very much for your answer. You have saved a lot of my time )))) ))))

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear Blas,

I tried "File>References" for updating the geometry. But it shows "Reference updated but File is Out of Date" and the geometrical changes are not updated. I am attaching the screenshot. Could you please help me on this?

Thanks,

Sabiq

Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

You don't mention the version of FEMAP used and the version & name of the CAD system, this is an important data.

When importing geometry from SOLID EDGE my preferred method is Parasolid *.X_T files, instead of native files. Parasolid gives you the freedom to select the parts to export ("only visible" option), but when importing native format ALL the assembly parts are imported, then try Parasolid and see if run OK in your system, OK?.

Best regards,
Blas.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear Blas,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that I forgot to mention the software details. I am using FEMAP v11.4.1 and Solidworks 2017. And, I am importing the CAD models in STEP format.

Thanks,

Sabiq

Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Sabiq,

When importing CAD files from SOLID WORKS or SOLID EDGE always use PARASOLID *.X_T format, not STEP, the reason is because the geometric kernel of FEMAP is Parasolid as well, then the precision of the imported geometry is the best achieved, better than any other CAD format, OK?.

Best regards,
Blas.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When opening a model with Femap Preferences set to Check References on Open or selecting the File > References command, the model is not updated until you both update the reference and then select Read File in the References dialog box.

2018-11-05_14-54-54.jpg

The attached video shows an example of this.  Note that there are several options available such as updating the geometry including mesh sizes.  When this option is checked, any geometry-based loads and/or constraints are maintained as long as the points, curves or surfaces are retained during geometry editing (e.g. if a hole is removed and a cylindrical constraint is on that hole, you will be flagged  with a warning that the surface has been removed).  Mesh sizes can also be retained.

This is documented in section 2.4.2 of the Femap Commands manual.

2018-11-05_15-01-55.jpg

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development
Highlighted

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear @ChipFricke

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Unfortunately in my case, the option "Read File" is greyed out. Could you please help me on that? And I couldn't find an option "References" to check in Preferences.

Thanks,

Sabiq

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

To set Femap's preferences to automatically create references upon import and opening a file, select the File > Preferences command and click the Interfaces tab in the Preferences dialog box.  Enable File Reference Options as shown below before clicking OK to close the dialog box to set preferences.

2018-11-06_8-17-05.jpg

Please note that you can manually import your model back into this model, however, the option to update which replaces geometry in the model does not work with STEP files.  You will need to either use native SW .sldprt or .sldasm files, or as Blas recommended, Parasolid (.x_t) files for the update option to work.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development