Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow (long delay) in v12 for "Move To" and "Move By" operations

Genius
Genius

Anybody else noticing long delays in performing "move to" or "move by" operations in v12 vs v11?

The two most striking occurances are:

"Move to" point.  It takes up to 12 seconds from clicking "move to" until I get the entity selection dialog.

"Move By" curve.  Sometimes takes up to 15 seconds to actually do the move.

I'm open to any ideas.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Slow (long delay) in v12 for "Move To" and "Move By" operations

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

I have noted a lost of performance as well in other commands, I am investigating.

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Can you tell me any more about the size of your model?  Better yet, if you have a sample model that shows it that would be great... but I realize that may not be possible.

Certainly many of the Copy/Move commands have changed in V12 to incorporate handling mesh and geometry at the same time, however the Move To commands did not. In particular, the Move To commands really don't do much of anything prior to showing the selection dialog so that is definitely troubling.

If you can be more specific about exactly what you are doing, commands, selections, model contents, etc. that would help to track this down.  Also, possibly a copy of your FEMAP.INI file to see if there are any settings there that could be impacting it.

Genius
Genius

I'll see what I can load up RE: model.

The [final] file size is 160,000 KB and the number of nodes is ~18000.

This is observed when making line geometry; no meshing, no nodes or elements in the model yet.  I haven't even set mesh size on the curves.

Specifically I'm creating line geometry for guardrails and moving/copying the three (3) lines that make up a single guardrail stanchion/column.

I was using existing lines and "move by vector" to place guardrail lines around the platform perimeter.   I then used "move to point" to update the stanchion location to adjust for different spacing between stanchions, or copying them when a guardrail had more.

The imported CAD file was large, but in the same order of magnitude used with prior (v11) editions of FEMAP.  Which is what's so striking...much slower to create line geometry now in v12 than v11 when using imported CAD for centerline reference.

I don't have the original CAD anymore and doubt I can upload the FEA...I'm checking on that.

Thanks!

INI file below:

======================================================================

[Femap with NX Nastran]
MWinVarFontFace=Segoe UI
ApiFontFace=Segoe UI
MWinFixedFontFace=Courier New
OGLDialogRefresh=1
OGLRotPoint=0
OGLRotBoundary=0
OGLRotVolume=0
OGLRotText=0
OGLRotCSys=0
OGLRotNode=0
OGLRotConstraint=0
OGLRotLoad=0
OGLRotContact=0
OGLRotLabel=0
OGLRotWorkplane=0
OGLAntiAlias=1
OGLAutoRegen=1
SnapMethod=2
ConfirmDelete=0
Nastran360Angles=1
FastDeleteOutput=1
DeltaAngle=45.
DefAnalysis=2
PrefShowMode=0
ResetNextID=0
UseMMOutputFile=1
AttachOutputFiles=1
CreateOutputStudies=0
MaterialLib=C:\Program Files\Siemens\FEMAPv1201\mat_eng_in-lbf-psi-degF-BTU.esp
ReportLib=C:\Program Files\Siemens\FEMAPv1201\format_NTE.esp
ViewLib=C:\Program Files\Siemens\FEMAPv1201\view_NTE.esp
ViewDefault=1
ColorPoint=14

Siemens Phenom

Thanks, that is at least a starting point.  Even if you can't upload the model, any idea on the total numbers of Points, Curves, Surfaces... including the CAD model?.. and about how many of the curves were ones you made?   I doubt it has anything to do with the specifics of the geometry shapes...more likely just numbers.

Siemens Phenom

I also just wanted to confirm that with "Move To" the delay you are seeing is between the time you pick the command from the menu and when the first dialog (the selection dialog) appears?

Conversely, with "Move By", it is when you have completed the last dialog and are waiting for the moved geometry to appear on the screen.

Genius
Genius

You're correct in understanding both.

Genius
Genius

To help with understanding the model, it's a mobile platform. 

Mass:  ~30 tonne.  Four levels.  Frame modeled with beam elements, walking surfaces with plates.  Frame modeled at walking surface mid-plane, with offsets to set the N.A.  No solid elements.  RBE2 rigids for connections (i.e. connecting guardrail to the frame node-to-node).  Couple of mass elements for some utility boxes.  

I don't have the source CATIA CAD any more so I don't know the original file size.  

The CAD from CATIA is farily clean.  I do all my CAD cleanup in CATIA before I export (hardware, casters, utilities, etc. all delteted before export).

I use the CATIA v4 work-around (Generate CATPART in CATIA, then save as a *.model (ie v4) solids).

I exported the reference CAD solids from FEMAP and got this size step file:  72,8783 KB

I think I included the FEM size before, but for ref:  *.modfem = 159,922 KB

In terms of geometry counts, this is what's in my model now.  CAD is kept as reference in the model.

FEM Geometry (stuff I made)

Curves:  2335

Surfaces:  264

Solids:  12 (these are sheet solids...surfaces "non-manifold added")

CAD Geometry:

Curves:  80382

Surfaces:  29563

Solids:  1320