Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CROD - defining coordinate system?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear experts,

please se this link: CROD Element

What exactly is meant by one "must explicitly specify an element coordinate system" for CBAR and CBEAM?

It sound like you would not need this for CROD. How come? I mean I could also define a CROD with a rectangular cross-section, which would make an element coordinate system necessary, wouldn't it?

I would appreciate it, if you could clear this up for me.

Kind regards.

3 REPLIES

Re: CROD - defining coordinate system?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

CROD only has stiffness in 2 dof (tension/compression and torque). The line of action (element X axis) for these dof is defined as the vector between the two grid points. Since there are no dof for shear or bending, the orientation of the element Y and Z axis is irrelevant, so no orientation needs to be defined.

CBAR and CBEAM are 6 dof elements that have shear and bending, so explicit definition of the element Y and Z axes is required.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Please, could you insert your named image? Best wishes, Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX11 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I edited the post and added a link instead.

Thanks for your reply. I would say JimB sufficiently responded to my request. = )