Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Calculate integration

Builder
Builder

Hi,

I am wondering if there is math Integration in Simcenter post-processing. For example,  integrate a result quantity along a line or over a surface or volume. I checked Help and cannot find this math function.

Thanks,

Kan

8 REPLIES

Re: Calculate integration

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Kan,

I think you could perform a line integration in Simcenter.  First use the "Create Graph" and then type "On path" to create a function along the path, save the data in an afu file.  Next, select the 'Independent Integration" from the "Single Math" , pick the afu function to perform the line integration.

Path.pngintegration.png

Builder
Builder
Hi Kin Hong,

Thanks.

So, there is no way to do the surface and volume integration in Simcenter. For the line integration you mentioned, I am wondering if it works for vector result quantity.

Kan

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Kan,

In version 10 or 11, we added the ability to integrate a result probe over geometry. The attached image shows the definition of a result probe whose expression is simply a single result variable that returns average von Mises stress. The calculation is for each subcase, and over a single face. The output is integrated over the face using area weighting. The integration leads to force type output (stress * area = force units).

Result probes are limited to scalar quantities. You can't define result variables that are vectors or tensors and perform math operations on those entities. So, if you wanted to integrate all 3 translation displacement components, you'd need to define 3 separate result probes.

Regards,

Mark

Builder
Builder
Hi MarkLamping,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.

As a side note, for structural analysis, this feature might be enough. But for thermal or EM, this might be still limited. For example, the surface integration, if the result is vector, the dot product of the result with the local unit normal surface vector is integrated over the selected integration surface. Hopefully, this kind of features can be added in the future release.

Kan

Siemens Phenom

Kan,

The dot product calculation could be done, but with difficulty. If your vector result is Ax, Ay, Az, and the local normal to the face is Nx, Ny, Nz, you can define an expression as:

AxNx + AyNy + AzNz

where A components are individual result variables. The difficult part is coming up with the normal vector components. I doubt that we have a standard expression function that returns a node's normal direction from its connected element faces. If not, then one would have to create a user defined function to do that operation. Given a node, find its element faces, then compute each face normal. Average the face normals, and you have the node's normal. That vector's components would be used in the expression above. The expression's N terms would be cast in terms of the user defined plugin function. 

Regards,

Mark

Builder
Builder

Hi MarkLamping,

That is great! Thank you so much for the explanation. I will try it later.

In the meantime, i guess Simcenter will be a multi-physics CAE platform and it might later add the electromagnetics (EM) solver . If that is the future, it would be better to automate the integration calualtion into the post-processing. Yes, the clients can use script or api or user-defined expression (function), but as my experience, most of them might not want to do that. In addition, this calcualtion for EM is basic operation, which is in most of EM CAE packages. Therefore, if there is a plan to add EM into the platform, this feature should be added in my personal opinion.

Thanks again!

Kan

Siemens Phenom

Kan,

I agree with all that you stated. Additionally, electromagnetics support within Simcenter 3D is part of our multiphysics vision for the product. The acquisition of Mentor Graphics plays a key role there.

Regards,

Mark

Builder
Builder
Hi MarkLamping,

Thanks for the good news. I hope Simcenter 3D will be one of the best multiphysics CAE platform that can help industry clients in the Digital Twin worldSmiley Happy

Kan