I'm trying to simulate the contact pressure and stress of a railway wheel on a rail. It's just a static analysis, so I've just been using SOL101. I do move the position of the wheel perpendicular to the direction of the rail so that I can see the different contact points on the wheel.
But sometimes I get solutions that look like this :
Which doesn't look quite right. What exactly is happening and what can I do to avoid it?
I've set a surface to surface contact between the tread of the wheel and the rail. The .assyfem file refers to an assembly file in which I have also set a contact constraint between the wheel and the rail. Could this be the issue? I've looked at the contact area and it does look like there might be a bit of an overlap between the models, but I don't know what I can use to verify it.
I've tried that and it doesn't do much. I've sort of fixed it by doing all the constraints again, but that means I don't quite understand what went wrong.
Hmm. I will try that out. I have managed to get results that make sense before using symmetry, but I've been trying to get results where the wheel is moved so the contact point is at different points on the wheel tread surface. At certain lateral displacements I get problems with the contact results.
I see several questionable items in the model that was posted:
The attached updated model addresses all of these issues. Contact pressures look as expected (nearly point contact on both the wheel and the rail.