Critical; Use the Previous Simulations Temperatures for Initializing a Part of the Next Simulation?

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I am modleing some solid objects in a big container (with air as the fluid). The solid objcgts are supposed to have natural convection with air. This is a simple simulations and there is no problem for this part. 

The solid objects in the simulations however, have a temperature field in them prior to sitting in the container. This temperature field is also already obtained from another simulation.

Now the question is how I can set the initial coniditon for the solid+container simulation to be the final results from the solid only simulations.

Note1: the solids have the same and the same mesh for in both the simulations. This makes it easier I think.

Note2: I have already tried the initializaion "from results in other directories", however, that option does not work for this simulation and gives me a "fatal error". So, is there an easier way to do this??

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Critical; Use the Previous Simulations Temperatures for Initializing a Part of the Next Simulati

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I see two ways that you could do this.

1. Create a spatial field from the thermal temperature results and apply this field as a temperature load in the solid only (structural) model.

2. Define a mapping solution in the structural model to map the temperatures to the structural model as a temperature load

These methods don't require the thermal and structural meshes to be the same. I think the method that you referred to as not working may have failed because it requires the same meshes in the results file as those in the structural model.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Critical; Use the Previous Simulations Temperatures for Initializing a Part of the Next Simulati

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the reply Mark...

Interesting suggestions. 

I have to mention that thermal solution from the first simulation is supposed to be used in the same solver (NX Thermal-Flow Solver). I am not working with structural solver.

Another question would be, say I go ahead and make a "field" or a "Map" as you mentioned. Then how can I read them in the initial boundary conditions? Attached to this reply please see the options available for setting the initial conditions.

Siemens Phenom

OK well... 

I think I tried to force a field into the initial conditions definition, via an expression and the fd() function. I recall it not working, and asking development about it. They must have had it in their plan, or made it part of their plan because the development version of the next release contains the missing feature you are looking for. The next release planned delivery is January, 2019.

Regards,

Mark

ThermalInitialConditions2019.png

Creator
Creator

I see. I wish I had it now... I have NX11.0 installed though. Maybe N12.0 has that, does it?

Anyways, does this mean I am left with the "Mapping" option? Can I "map" a thermal simulation into another thermal simulation?

Creator
Creator
Wait... Can I download the development version from their portal?
If yes, what should I look for? what is the name of that version?

Siemens Phenom

You can download the development version, but we don't recommend using it for production work. This year we introduced an Early Adopters Program (EAP) for extended evaluation of the development version.

Here’s information pertaining to the EAP program.

In order to progress with the EAP program registration for Simcenter 3D, you can follow this link: registration site

Once you login, there is a drop down for EAP programs, please use “NX EAP January 2019”.

After registering, your status will be set to PENDING. A site administrator will verify that you have a signed NDA.

Once approved, you will have access to a download site on GTAC that will include licenses and code.

You will need a WebKey account along with your Sold-to ID. WebKey accounts can be created here:

https://www2.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/webkey/

Your site administrator or Siemens PL account rep should be able to help with the Sold-to ID.

The NDA can be uploaded as part of the registration or sent back to me (see email address below) after you’ve signed and scanned it. It will need your Sold-to ID also.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Simulation and Test Solutions

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/plm

Creator
Creator

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Thanks alot for good information!