Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cylinder mesh control

Builder
Builder

Hi,

In Mesh Control, when selecting Cylinder type, there are settings for specifying the number of element along axis and circumferential direction. For along axis, users can specify By Number or By Size or None. I am wondering what is the difference between By Number and By Size. For example, i have a cylinder face with axis length=10 mm. If i set By Number with 10, is this equivalent to set By Size to 1 mm? 

Thanks,

Kan

1 REPLY

Re: Cylinder mesh control

Builder
Builder

Hi,

I tried to understand the cylinder mesh control with a simple model as shown below. The radiu of the cylinder is 31.45mm, and length is 26 mm.

Cylinder mesh control.png

The side face is divided into three faces as shown in the image. I selected all the three faces and applied cylinder mesh control (along axis by size), then i got the mesh as shown below

Cylinder mesh control 1.png Cylinder mesh control 2.png

Then i changed the mesh control setting for along axis direction to By Number as below. The mesh updated and the third face with small length looks wired. 

Cylinder mesh control 3.pngCylinder mesh control 4.png

I know that the mesh control will consider the Aspect Ratio. The help document mentions that if there are elements violating the ratio, it will reduce the element size.  So i tried to increass it but it did not work. But if i increase the setting for the circumference (Element per 90 deg) from 5 to 7, it is fine as shown below:

Cylinder mesh control 5.png

Based on the test, i got some ideals but still not clear. Could you please give a little bit more info or comments on how SC deals with this control and mesh?

Thanks,

Kan